Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Performance Brake Suggestions 94' Camry

Old 04-26-2019, 07:45 PM
Default High Performance Brake Suggestions 94' Camry

Hello Folks,

Im an amateur with cars. But I did just find a 94' Camry and I got new wheels from a new Mazda 3. They look nice and fit well.
Looking to upgrade brakes and I have a few questions and concerns before I go and purchase the wrong things. I have no intentions of engine upgrades. Just want overkill brakes for the new amount of rubber on the road.

1.Are there restrictions on rotor sizes in the wheel besides the bolt pattern?
2.Do I need to replace anything more than rotors and callipers when replacing the front brakes to something "better"(master cylinder etc)
3. Would you suggest converting the rear drums into disc?

thanks

Last edited by sheepskinyankee; 04-26-2019 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

Does the car have ABS? What engine model V-6 or 4-cylinder?

Old 04-27-2019, 05:42 AM

Itís the 2.2 four cylinder
I donít think itís got ABS

Old 04-27-2019, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

1) The V-6 engine model had larger front rotors and rear disk brakes. If you can find a donor V-6 car your could swap all the parts over including the proportioning valve. Master cylinder appears to be the same. All parts will bolt on to the car without issues. This has been done before and the internet would have posts/threads on doing this some very detailed.

Check the auto parts website for years of cars that will cross over to your year based on the part number. Guessing 1992-1996.

2) If not doing No 1, keep current master cylinder. Find better brake pads. Larger rotors may not be even available that can be used with the 4-cyl..

3) Some owners have converted the rear drums to rotors by doing No 1. The improvement was OK but not great as more of the braking is done by the front brakes.

You may be limited to replacing the brake pads with something better. There are "performance" rotors that are drilled but don't really need them for a street car.

The cars age and being a passenger sedan is going to limit performance brake parts.

Make sure the rear drums are adjusted properly for clearance between shoe and drum.

Could replace the rubber brake lines with stainless braided rubber hoses which might reduce brake pedal sponge caused the rubber lines expanding.

If the car has ABS then stick to changing pads/hoses as otherwise will asking for trouble. If ABS equipped, the engine compartment will have a manifold on the passengers side with a lot of steel brake lines running to it.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:58 PM

Great advice, thank you!