Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

steering rack removal and installlation

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: steering rack removal and installation

I can't see you pictures because i'm at work but, from your description I gather that you have and ovular hole that needs to be round? It this is the case and you know someone that is good at welding perhaps you could weld a high quality washer into the area to provide you with your round opening?

Old 09-08-2008, 11:05 AM

I actually can weld and had not thought of that. The only problem is I cannot weld the forward hole because of its difficult location. That is a great idea and maybe the aft holes being perfectly round will be good enough. Thanks for the input and keep them coming!

Old 09-08-2008, 09:56 PM

I think there's a problem with the pictures.I can't see it either . . .

Old 09-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

The bolt torgue is pretty high, if the hole is not too bad might just clean the area torque the bolt to full value and call it good.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:16 PM

O.K. guys, I installed my new rack. Sorry there are not photos but I kept forgetting my camera. This job definitely is not for everyone beacuse it is not super easy here are the main points that I would pass along to any of you that are thinking of taking this on.

1) Get your engine steam cleaned
-If the area that I was working on were cleaner I would have had a lot less of a mess on my hands and would not have felt the need to flush the lines.

2) Get your engine really really clean.
-I can't stress this enough

3) Don't take on too much at once.
-I decided to change the control arm bushings, ball joints andtie rod ends at the same time which, after I got the rack in, was still a lot to do.

4) make sure that the P/S lines are on the correct side when you slide the new rack back in.
-mine were not and I had to take the lines out and run them throughtthe back side of the rack. It was an opportinity to clean them

5) Buya Toyota rebuit rack.
- there are lots of companies that rebuilt the rack but doin't take a chance on them. It is a lot of work to have it start leaking after acouple of months and it is only $100 or so more.Sadly Toyota no longer makes new racks for 92-96 camrys.

6) Have someone help you
-It was nice to have someone to give a push or a pull when I was under the car on a creeper.

7)Center the rack and the steering wheel.
- I asked the Toyota tech when I pickedup the rack how to center the rack. He advised me to turn the rack fromlock to lock, count how many times (mine was 3) and then turn it backhalf the amount of turns and theresyour center. Just mark it with a sharpie to make sure it dosn't move. Make sure your steering wheel is centered and locked with the seat belt.

8)Make sure therack is secure.
-The holes where my rack mounted were ovate and the old rack moved back and forth. The same toyota tech said that when he comes across this problem to use a split washer and tork the heck out of it (134 lbs). It worked!

Thats about it, good luck and take your time.
Thanks to everyone on this forum who has advised me, It really helped alot!!

Old 09-16-2008, 12:45 AM

good work! and also thanks for sharing the way how to do it!