Steering stiff and sticking - Page 3 - Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting back with your good results.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:50 PM

Thumbs up Brilliant!

I acquired a 2003 Camry in March of 2017. It's a good little car, but has it's quirks (like me). Last week, as I was driving home, I noticed the steering was a bit stiffer than usual. I searched online and VOILA! I had an answer. Took me a week to find/order the Tri-Flow (Ace WAS the place ) and since the store is located in a "ritzier" local town, I decided not to mess with the car right then and there. Drove back home and was noticing all the things other people said, "...doesn't recentre after a turn...feels sluggish..." Pulled into the driveway, popped the hood, and proceeded to locate the u-joint. It's a ways down the firewall and there's no way the plastic tube was going to reach. Overcoming my OCD, I just sprayed the lube all over the joint, hitting some of the hoses and wires with overspray. Got in the car, cranked the steering full range a couple of times, then drove a few blocks to the bank, taking every turn I could along the way. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Almost completely recentred on turns and by the time I had driven the six blocks, it was almost like a brand new car.

Not being satisfied, I figured that I only hit one side of the u-joint, so I drove down to a local park, turned the steering wheel 180*, turned off the engine, and sprayed the other side. As I was getting back into the car, I remembered that the bottom of the steering shaft can need lubricated too (causes wheel chatter, which I had during the cold days of spring), so I hit that with Tri-Flow, as well.

Now, it drives just like a new car. I also hit the door and trunk locks, as well as the hood latch, so I should be set for a bit. Thanks again for the excellent info!
Old 09-14-2017, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Great job.

Thanks for posting! This is a common issue.