Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Struts Camry 2008 GAS or OIL

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 03:10 PM
Default Struts Camry 2008 GAS or OIL

I read a lot about struts and the associated issues. I also saw the bulletin Toyota had issued about normal evaporation of oil which could alarm owners. I personally think Toyota, after 2006, has turned into just another car maker with mediocre quality standarts.
Anywho, could anyone tell me what brand of struts is Camry 2008 CE, 4 cyl originally equiped? Mine is at the 90K mark and will need (sooner or later) struts replacement. As far as quality aftermarket brands go I will probably go with KYB. Now, are the original struts gas or oil charged. If everybody is talking about oil leakage it makes sense to assume it's oil inside. On the other hand the KYB parts numbers for my vehicle say that the exact fit is Excel-G which they claim is GAS filled. Further on the KYB website they explain the difference between twin and mono struts and in both they say is filled with "fluid" which we all know gas isn't. Also, how different is the strut, ride wise, between CE and LE if they used different ones at all? I guess SE would be stiffer and STIFF is a NO-NO-NO when it comes to my car. Thanks everybody for suggestions and pardon my ignorance!

Old 10-05-2015, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

Both twin and single tube designs have fluid.

in the twin tube the air above the fluid is replaced with nitrogen to lessen aeration.

In the single tube the high pressure air does not contact the fluid.

The single tube design is suppose to have better ride qualities.

I have Excel-G and they seem to have the same ride as the original struts.

Look at the struts at the Rockauto.com site under Original Ride Quality.