TCF Help & Suggestion Center Need help with Toyota Camry Forums? Ask. Have a suggestion to better TCF? Tell us here.

2000 Camry V6 LE - Transmission jerk, only 40k miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 12:11 PM
Default 2000 Camry V6 LE - Transmission jerk, only 40k miles

Hi there -

I just purchased a 2000 Camry LE v6 with only 40k original miles on the entire car. As far as I am aware, it only had 1 owner, 0 accidents, but the original owner was an old woman who sadly passed away in 2016 (she made it to 102 lol)
anywho, the car sat for many years for some reason and she didn't drive it that much. I test drove it, it drove flawlessly at the time. So I bought it for just under 6k.
They had replaced the alternator, drive belt, oil, brakes, calipers, and brake fluid.
Stupidly, I had added half a quart of Lucas Transmission Fix to the full transmission fluid (it looked a little worn, not bad by any means)
I noticed a few days later I started getting a jerking shift ONLY in from gears 1 to 2, and sometimes 2 to 3. After 3rd gear the car shifts and rides like a brand new car.
I'm confused because I don't know what to do. I dont think adding this half a quart damaged anything, but I don't know. I only drove the car with the half a quart full for 2 days before I siphoned out that half a quart. Then, the following weekend I changed the fluid out and the jerk was still there.
Could this be a transmission mount problem? It's very noticeable switching from Park to Reverse, Drive to Reverse (especially this switch), but all other gears are fine. switching to 2nd or L there is no movement at all.
How could the trans have issues only 40k miles in? Did I damage it by chance? Is the fact the car sat for so long a factor and maybe the mounts went bad?
I'm under warranty for 50 more days so I'm going to call the dealer and I know he'll help me out but it has me worried a bit. Literally everything runs mint condition in the car other than this jerking problem. There is no sight of any slipping going on, just the jerk in the low gears.
To add to this, I noticed when the car gets warm after driving for about an hour, that the first 2 gears seem slow to accelerate for a v6. When I'm being gentle with the gas pedal it seems a little slow when warmed up. Is this normal?
Sorry for all the text, and thank you for all the help. I get no responses on Reddit anymore so I figured I would take these questions to a dedicated forum like this with professionals on board. Thanks a ton!

-SlypDisc (2000 Camry V6 LE)

Old 05-03-2023, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

You state you purchased the car from a dealer. How do you know the car has only 40k original miles on the entire car and was owned by the elderly woman?

Suggest not mentioning the trans additive to the dealer.

Your best option is replacing all of the trans fluid. The internet and this website have threads on how to do this. The trans fluid type should be stamped on the dipstick. DO NOT DO A FLUSH. Just replace all the old transmission with new.

Have someone safely rev the engine while you watch the engine for excess movement which could mean worn mounts.

When the car is warm after driving for about an hour watch the tachometer versus speedometer to determine if the trans is slipping. Compare to when the trans was not slow to accelerate.

Toyotanation.com is also a good site. If wanting to post the appropriate year Camry section.

Is a solid car and engine!

Old 05-04-2023, 12:15 AM

I asked them, I VIN checked the vehicle to the best of my ability, and I have the original title which had the owners name. When I looked it up, she was an elderly woman that bought the car new in June of 2000. She passed away in 2016 and it sat for a while.
I replaced the trans fluid already. I'll try to see if the mounts are worn, but that still doesn't answer my question on whether or not half a quart of the lucas could damage the transmission.

Old 05-04-2023, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

Lucas is supposed to be safe. Still if the trans worked OK for a time then not OK after adding Lucas one might wonder if there is a connection.

Did you use the correct type trans fluid?

Is the fluid level correct as in checked when hot, engine running in Park.

Have someone shift from P to D was you watch the engine from a safe location. Watch for excess engine movement.

Old 05-05-2023, 10:47 AM

I did use the correct fluid, which is Dexron III. Checked at hot and made sure it was at the hot line. On this model the differential shares fluid with the transmission and I forgot to drain the differential side so really I only replaced maybe half of what I could have.
Call me stupid but I really don't remember this car hard shifting at all when I bought the car. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bought it.
I'm going to check the mounts as soon as I can. Today I'll be calling the dealer as I have a 60 day warranty on repairs and hopefully this qualifies, because I don't want to do a trans rebuild at like 100k miles or so. The jerking has me concerned for future wear. Thank you