TCF Help & Suggestion Center Need help with Toyota Camry Forums? Ask. Have a suggestion to better TCF? Tell us here.

2000 Toyota Camry problems reversing

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 04:36 PM
Question 2000 Toyota Camry problems reversing

I've been experiencing a "pull" while in reverse. Usually it happens when I first start my car, I back out of my drive way and it feels like it slips out of gear maybe? Then I feel it jerk a little as it releases the car (or goes back into gear). This recently happened while in drive (and the car had been running a bit that day). Has anyone else had this problem or have any idea what might be causing it? It has over 250,000 miles on it but just rebuilt the transmission last year.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

It happens that high mileage trans (often never having a trans fluid change) have slipping or the car fails to move in reverse, forward or both.

As the trans was recently rebuilt this would be unusual.

Check the trans fluid level. If the trans has say 30K miles since rebuilt change the fluid.

Otherwise suggest returning to the shop that rebuilt the trans and inquiry about the problem.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:06 PM

Hello all,

My In Laws just bought a 2012 Camry and have had this same thing happen 4 times in the past month. The dealer is stumped apparently. This car is brand new and has really put a stain on what should be a enjoyable experience. The mileage hasn't clicked four numbers yet and has left her stranded four times. Hard to believe. The price tag didn't reflect this performance. I think anymore the technology is concentrated on dumb things like backup cameras, not the equipment that backs the car up. Any ideas what this might be???

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

Can you describe the problem?

Make sure the dealer logs the problem for future warranty claims.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:13 AM

Thanks for your reply,

I haven't actually experienced it, but the way my mother-in-law explained was it feels like the parking brake is on. She's been able to slowly inch it out in a couple of instances, had it towed a couple more from her garage and the following morning it would be fine with no work done. My question would be if it is transmission failure would it be off and on? She has notified the dealership and they've looked at it, but they said they've never experienced anything like it. Obviously the reason it's not fixed. Thanks again for input!

Old 04-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

As the car is under warranty the dealer is the place to complain to. You can open a case file with Toyota customer service (look in the owners manual for info) but best to work with the dealer first.

Try another dealer.

I assume she is backing out the garage when this happens.

Try restarting the engine.

Shift back into Park then into Reverse.

Shift manually into low gear then to Reverse.

Try waiting longer for the trans to engage with engine running.

Stop the engine and wait 5-10 minutes then attempt to move the car again.

The idea is the trans controls may reset if the engine is turned on/off or gear selector moved.

Of course make sure the emergency brake is off.

If any of the above works of course it is a work around fix but at least the car can be used.

If the problem continues keep bugging the dealer for a fix. The dealer may or may not have seen the problem before but their typically response can be you are first person with this problem.

Depending on your state their may be some kind of government option for arbitration on warranty repairs. Save this for last as you will alienate the dealer.

Check posts at the Toyotanation website or post there as a much larger site. If posting include the engine type (4 or 6 cylinder) as this makes a difference on trans model.

If there is a common problem with the trans, over time more complaints will surface on the internet and be posted at sites like Toyotanation. Toyota may respond or not to any problems with a fix.

It not uncommon for some past Toyota Camry models to have trans issues. As such it would not be a surprise if this model had issues.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:26 PM

Thank you for your time indeed. It is in the shop for a transmission overhaul. 90 days wasn't up yet. Sure hope they can put an end to the problem.

Just in case I'm saving your tips, no typing wasted!

Cheers.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:40 PM

well wish you good luck with it... hope they got pro mechanics there.