General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Camry engine stops in driving mode

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Default 2001 Camry engine stops in driving mode

I bought a 2001 Camry last week. The mileage is 126K. The car is looking good condition and did firestone inspection and they said everything is good and i have to change oil and transmission fluid. So I changed both last Saturday and took the car in highway for 10 miles and once i came out the highway and stopped at a signal. Engine stopped in the middle of the road and it wont start!!! then i tried changing the gear mode to 'P' and tried but it wont. Then I called 911 and by the time it was about 10 min and then i tried starting in 'P' mode the it started.

Again today morning i took the car for 4-5 miles and when i took an exit from a main road and slowed down the car engine stopped again!!! then i could not turn the steering (i thing power steering was gone) then i somehow managed to stop... then changed the gear to 'P' then 'D' then to 'P' and tried then it started!!

one point to be noted is, it is not stopping always when im in slow speed.
What could be the problem? it is really scaring me that it may stop @ anywhere and it will be very dangerous!!!

plz help me...

Old 05-02-2011, 08:41 PM

maybe its the battery, replace your battery... it seem to retiring lol

Old 05-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

What model engine, V6 or 4 cylinder?

Did the engine run OK before the Firestone repairs?

For safety issues the engine starting system will not allow the engine starter motor to be engaged (power by the battery) unless the transmission is in Park or Neutral.

This is the reason when you try to restart the car in Drive nothing happens. The trans needs to be in Park or Neutral.

If the car is moving NEVER put the trans into Park or it will be damaged, come to a complete stop first. Or move the gear selector into Neutral. Neutral disconnects the transmission for the engine.

If the engines stops and you try to restart in Park what happens? Does the engine just turn over?

Do these engine quitting issues only happen at slow speeds, stop lights or signs, etc?