General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Camry LE I4 - Metal knocking/chatter sound after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Default 2010 Camry LE I4 - Metal knocking/chatter sound after oil change

I recently did oil change on my 4 cylinder 2010 Toyota camry. After 1 or 2 days, I started noticing that every time I start it from cold (after 3-4 hours of rest), it will make very strong knocking/metal chatter like sound. It sounds like may be coming from engine. It does that for 1-2 seconds and then goes away. Any guess on what might be causing it?

I am @ 40k so past my warranty. I talked to dealer where I did my oil change and he thinks its just from initial friction before oil reaches engine/cylinder heads. I never heard this sound before the oil change. Any suggestions are welcome.! Thanks in advance.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Cold start noise appears to be a common issue on this model. There is a service bulletin that may apply to your car that might help. See link below and read all the posts.

T-SB-0146-10, Brief Engine Knock/Rattle Noise at Cold Startup, dtd. 6/910 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Find out from the dealer if the service bulletin applies to your car based on VIN number and if it was ever performed on the engine, they keep records.

The bulletin states the repair is covered under a 60K/60mth power train warranty. This warranty is longer then the cars basic warranty of 36K/36mth. Read the owners manual.

Note: The dealer typically is not going to do any work under warranty or a service bulletin unless you complain.

Given the symptoms in the service bulletin match yours, find out if it applies to your car and is covered under the power train warranty. Then ask the dealer to perform the service.

Might also be the dealer used the wrong oil weight, the service sheet might have this info. Compare with the owners manual for the correct weight.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:34 AM

Thanks for quick response & info here. I actually took it to the dealer thinking that it may have to do with wrong oil or something as it started happening after the oil change. But dealer is performing the exact same procedure listed in the bulletin below. Quite surprisingly he didn't mention anything about the bulletin or this being a common issue for some camrys. Good thing is it will be covered under warranty.
Although I have started to loose faith in Toyota due to there coverups.

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Cold start noise appears to be a common issue on this model. There is a service bulletin that may apply to your car that might help. See link below and read all the posts.

T-SB-0146-10, Brief Engine Knock/Rattle Noise at Cold Startup, dtd. 6/910 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Find out from the dealer if the service bulletin applies to your car based on VIN number and if it was ever performed on the engine, they keep records.

The bulletin states the repair is covered under a 60K/60mth power train warranty. This warranty is longer then the cars basic warranty of 36K/36mth. Read the owners manual.

Note: The dealer typically is not going to do any work under warranty or a service bulletin unless you complain.

Given the symptoms in the service bulletin match yours, find out if it applies to your car and is covered under the power train warranty. Then ask the dealer to perform the service.

Might also be the dealer used the wrong oil weight, the service sheet might have this info. Compare with the owners manual for the correct weight.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:48 PM

I think its will be hard since warranty is off... better think of another option rather than Toyota...

Old 08-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Great.

Given your complaint and the symptoms matched the service bulletin the dealer should have offered to perform the TSB as it is done on a customer complaint basis.

Some dealers do not like to perform warranty work as they don't make any money (or enough money) on the repair.