Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Camry 2007 LE - Engine Knocking Sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 04:33 PM
Default Camry 2007 LE - Engine Knocking Sound

My 2007 Toyota Camry LE, recently started making knocking sound. When checked there was absolutely no oil in the engine. Filled in 2 Qrts of oil to drove home that night.

I received warranty enhancement letter for my VIN, but Toyota says it has to be repaired first at my expense They said after the repair, the dealer will perform Excessive Oil consumption test. If the engine is found to consume excess oil, Toyota would reimburse the repair cost.

Any one similar experience. At this time I am finding out what are my options.

Dealer would not give me an estimate even. He says I have to approve 10 hrs of Labor ($1400) to do an engine down for just identifying the problem.

Not sure what would have gone wrong and how much repair cost would be. Not sure if I have to trade my car and get it repaired.

Please advise.

Thank you
okadum

Old 06-09-2015, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Does your car currently have a knock?
Weird that they want you to fix the car because of the issue that they have extended the warranty for.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:48 PM

Yes, the engine currently has a knock. I was told by the dealer that the vehicle has to be repaired first. Then the so called "Oil consumption test" will be conducted by the dealer. If it is proved that the engine damage is a result of excessive oil consumption, Toyota would reimburse the repair expenses(dealer said).

I also bought a Auto4Life insurance when purchased the vehicle, dealer mentioned that they don't cover the problem either. He was kind enough to send the document (the fine print) wherein it is mentioned that engine damage due to no fuel/lubricants are not covered.

I asked the dealer to goahead with the repairs assuming that I can prove the oil consumption and get the reimbursement later. But I don't know if the engine will show up the same behavior after the repairs are done.

Dealer is also taking time to tell me what's wrong with my vehicle. I mean specifics.

I will post any information I get for the Camry Enthusiasts. Sadly I am not an enthusiast anymore, I posted this so 2007Camry users keep an eye on the engine oil levels in their vehicle so repairs can be avoided.

Thanks

Old 06-16-2015, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

What is the dealer going to do once the engine is apart?

Makes no sense to put the engine back together with the old parts just to test if for oil consumption which appears to have caused the issue in the first place.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

I've got a bad feeling about this...
I agree with Joey, doesn't make sense.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

ok8802, please keep us posted on your experiences with the dealer.

An owner of a late model car should not be expected to have to check the oil level at every fill up because the manufacturer failed at adequately testing it before production started!

Then not only dragged their feet to address the issue of high oil consumption but went as far as reframing what normal oil consumption was! Which is now 1.2 quarts per 1000 miles. Aren't products supposed to improve with technology?

It was only after Toyota got so much bad PR and was sued that it finally addressed the issue and still some dealers are declining to participate in the extended warranty.

Toyota, Toyota what happened between the 60's and 70's when your products ran forever (yes the body tended to rust out) and today?

Old 10-31-2015, 02:48 PM

I got my Camry back from the dealer. Dealer performed Toyota's ZE7 warranty service. Damaged parts have been replaced.

My dealer Ourisman Chantilly Toyota had all my service records and they took care to get all the issues addressed.

I am happy to get it back and it runs like a brand new car now.

-okadum

Old 04-14-2016, 12:28 PM

A requirement put into the warranty is that to qualify the motor has to be in "good working order" so, its knocking means its not in good working order and they are putting the burden of proof on you to show the oil consumption caused it.