General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 A/c problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:43 AM
Default 2008 A/c problem

Recently had the a/c condenser replaced. When we got car back a/c worked great, very cold, mechanic added coolant.A couple days later it started blowing hot, not cooling at all, while I was driving. The maybe 10 minutes later went back to cold air again. It did this a couple times over the enxt few days then stopped blowing cold at all and just blew warm air, nothing cool at all. Today it was blowing ice cold again and has all day so far. Any ideas on what problem might be? hate to take it in to spend no telling how much more but looks like I will have to. Dont know if its the compressor or something else. Just weird how it has gone by to blowing cold again. Any comments or help appreciated.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Perhaps best to take the car back to the repair shop and complain.

The shop needs to determine if the AC compressor is running when the system is not blowing cold air. If the compressor is off, cold air will not be generated.

Another possible cause is moisture was introduced into the AC system with the condenser was replaced. If the AC system plumping is opened up to outside air, moisture will into the pipes. This moisture can then freeze during AC operation turning to ice and blocking the expansion valve in the evaporator. The result is no cold air.

The fix is to evacuate the system with a vacuum pump, then under vacuum add the coolant.

The shop can hook up a pressure gauge set to check AC system pressure and determine what the problem.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:43 PM

had the same problem with a different car and it was from a bad connection in a plug on the AC wire. When stopped it would make connection but when I stepped in the gas the engine would move just enough to make the plug connection fail. It stayed plugged in the whole time BUT that slight engine movement was all it took. I replaced the plug and the problem was gone.