General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake lights wont flash, 3rd brake light works fine

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Default brake lights wont flash, 3rd brake light works fine

my tail/brake lights wont blink or flash. 3rd brake light works fine no problem there. replaced bulbs, one of them was burnt and looked black (rear driver side) now all lights work. checked fuses and all are in working condition. when i turn on the running lights all lights work even tail/brake lights but wont blink or flash when i press on the brake. could this be a faulty tail light switch? I read some where that if your third brake light works then its not the brake/tail light switch. but im still not ruling it out. has any one experienced this?

Old 11-20-2017, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by juarez1980
my tail/brake lights wont blink or flash. 3rd brake light works fine no problem there. replaced bulbs, one of them was burnt and looked black (rear driver side) now all lights work. checked fuses and all are in working condition. when i turn on the running lights all lights work even tail/brake lights but wont blink or flash when i press on the brake. could this be a faulty tail light switch? I read some where that if your third brake light works then its not the brake/tail light switch. but im still not ruling it out. has any one experienced this?
I have this same problem with my 2006 base camry. I switched out the brake light switch (aka, stop light switch), but it didn't make any difference....In my research it maybe faulty wiring.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Check wiring to the bulbs. The 3rd brake light is powered by the same circuit.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:09 PM

Yep...that was it. I have a 2006 base Camry and it happens to have 2007 (next generation) tail light bulbs and socket (I guess they ran out of the inventory in this last generation). This summer, I put in an LED bulb to replace the blown out incandescent one and acknowledged a loose fit, so I just taped it and it appeared to have worked, until just recently when the brake lights went out.

A side note: I don't know if it is just this car or broader, but after I started replacing incandescent bulbs with LEDs, bulbs have been burning out in a close window of time - probably about 3 bulbs in 3 or 4 months - starting about 2 - 3 years ago. I should have taken the clue that these LEDs may not be good for this car. Then last year, my alternator went out (though it was a 10 year old car (only 70K miles), I've read alternator go for longer on this model). But not until today I had the 3 LED bulbs running fine. However this brake light disaster (only because I have wrecked my hands doing bulb and electrical accessory replacements) was the last straw and I replaced all of the LEDs with incandescent/halogen. I hope not to be getting any more bulb blow outs...I'll be documenting this to see how long the bulbs last....better be or I may be getting a new car. I've heard that the alternator's voltage regulator should be able to handle the difference in these bulbs but maybe not :-/

Old 11-22-2017, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Some LED lights are better then others.

A loose electrical connection could shorten LED life.