Appearance Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

non-unified HID appearance

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 01:09 PM
Default non-unified HID appearance

Hello everybody,

I'm new to this forum and I just have a little problem with my hid lights. I have a JDM 8000k kit on my low's and a Hella based 8000k for the fogs. The result is that the fogs look much brighter like as on a non-projector headlight and a little whiter than the low-beam. I was told by the shop that installed the fogs that the reason is because the bulbs are different but I thought the lows and the fogs both use H11? I even asked the guy before doing the work that if the two kits arefrom different brands will it come out looking different and he said no as long as they are both 8000k. Can someone explain why this is happening? Thanks very much appreciated!!

Old 03-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Default RE: non-unified HID appearance

possibly quality differences in the bulbs?

Old 03-26-2008, 06:47 PM
Default RE: non-unified HID appearance

an HID bulb will always be brighter than a halogen. however,the factory headlight does not have a projector lens for the high beams. sticking a HID bulb in a non-projector housing will not diffuse the light output correctly. in basic terms, the light will not be spread out nor focused to the proper angles. The difference between HID and non-hid reflectors (non projector) is the length of the bulb. The focal point of the bulbs is completely different offset for the two reflectors. Thats why when putting HID bulb in halogen housing, the focal point is off, thus creates glare. Here is a pic of the same car side by side.The left side has a factory HID setup with projectors, right has non-projectors with an aftermarket HID system.
[align=left]________________
::: Flowmaster :::::
[/align]