Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Radio and CD works, Speakers don't!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:59 AM
Default Radio and CD works, Speakers don't!

Hello, I have a 1998 Camry, V6. The radio switches on, shows channels etc, but no sound comes from any of the speakers. If I insert a CD, this spins around and shows track numbers on the display. This problem started yesterday after I loaded a lot of luggage in the trunk. I think I fouled the right hand rear speaker wires.

After I loaded the luggage, I drove off but had to stop after a few yards because of smoke coming out of the fresh air vent (the right hand one above the radio unit). As well as the smoke, there was a strong smell of soap! That's right, soap. The stuff you wash yourself with.

I stopped and checked under the hood, but I could see no problems there.

I have removed the radio and the rear and top panels of the radio. I found a soapy substance on a couple of plate-like components in the radio, but I couldn't find any evidence of burning. I put insulating tape around the connections of the rear speaker, but still there is no sound.

The radio/CD unit is a Toyota branded one. On the lower section (the CD bit) there are the codes TF0410 and in smaller type 34226. On the upper section (the radio bit) there is the code 18401 in small type.

I would be grateful if anyone can tell what has gone wrong and how I can fix it.

Thanks

Old 04-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Radio and CD works, Speakers don't!

Does this radio use a built-in or a remote amp?

Do any of the speakers produce sound, typically there are at least 4, maybe 6.

I don't think the Toyota radio has mute button but might check.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:38 AM

Thanks for your reply.

I don't think that the amp is separate. There are no other controls other than on the centre console radio and CD player. How can I tell if the amp is separate?

You're right, there is no mute button.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:39 AM

Sorry, I should have also said that there are six speakers, and all of them are silent - absolutely dead.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:49 PM

Is it premium sound? I know I've seen a couple cars where there is a remote amp, under the passenger's seat. Im not sayin it's there, or even that there is one, but before ruling out the amp check around for something to indicate the amp bein there. For all we know a fuse to the amp could have blown. I'll look into whether or not. the car has one.