Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Switch Ignition Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Default Switch Ignition Project

I recently looked at a used (apparently stolen) BMW. The point I really liked in this car was the ignition system, which consisted of two switches and a button. the place of the normal position was stuffed with a du rag but I've been thinking about this ignition system. I went to advance and talked to someone there about it, and according to them, theres one wire for each of the 3 key positions: Accessory, On, and Ignition. The three positions I understand, Ignition you touch and it pulls back, as the button would do. So my question is, does anyone have any other possible thoughts on this? Has anyone ever even seen this?

I know, I know, having that makes it sooo much easier to steal... but only if the person can find it.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Switch Ignition Project

Yes you could do this very easy.

Toyota ign switches and most other car makes are gained, this being 2 (or more) separate switches in one housing which work as one unit.

For may Toyota such as Camry (in this case a Gen 3)

In the ACC position Switch 1 turns on items such as the radio and cig lighter, Switch 2 has no electrical connections to turn anything on. You could replace this circuit with a single pole, single throw switch.

In the next position Switch 1 turns on items such as the wipers, windows, et. Switch 2 turns on the ign. You could replace this with a double pole, single throw switch.

In the next position Switch 1 engages the starter solenoid, Switch 2 is not hooked up to any circuit. This is the push button.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:13 AM

So.. ACC has one wire, ON has two, and IGN has one? Im tryin to get a visual without tearing apart my ignition I woulda done it at the junk yard but I had no time.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

The ign switch is two rotary switches in one package. A switch similar to the heater blower switch. When you rotate the blowerknob you select different switch positions and thus change blower speeds.

In case of the ign switch there would be another separate switch that is connected to the same **** (**** the ign key is on). Thus when turning the **** you are controlling two separate switches.

Switch 1 controls certain circuits, switch 2 others.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:45 AM

Damn, any idea where to get a diagram to figure it out then? I mean, I've never taken apart an ignition before, so I dont really know what they're like. I just saw a car with 2 rocker switches and an ignition button.My guess was 3-6 wires, 1 or 2 for each of the 3 settings and I could just go one at a time pulling wires and running more wire off each to their respective switches. Something tels me it wont be that easy?

Old 04-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

You need to remove the upper and lower steering column covers to access the ign switch. A wiring harness plugs into the back of the switch. Would still need a key to unlock the steering column.

Might be more trouble then it is worth and an invitation for auto theft.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:43 PM

The steering column doesnt lock on my camry, I dunno if its supposed to or not on a 94 but never has, neither did my 94 buick skylark. yea, I already know, it makes it easier to steal, if they can even fins the switches I could just picture that, I find someone trying to figure out how to start my car, i stand there eating an apple and watchin [sm=laughat.gif]