DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

1998 camry fuel filter problem

Old 03-18-2012, 09:04 AM
Question 1998 camry fuel filter problem

tried to replace fuel filter on 98 camry, but couldn't get botton line disconnected, botton nut came lose, but would not unsrew all the way...now i'm faced with poss replacing the fuel line to the tank.........

signed...bigger project than i want...

any thoughts would be appreciated......

Old 03-18-2012, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Removing the filter fittings can be difficult due to very tight fittings. Best to use tube wrenches to prevent rounding over of the fitting nut flats.

Once the bottom fitting is broken loose it should unscrew, if it doesn't there is a problem.

Make sure the female fitting on the can has not broken free instead of the fuel line fitting and is now turning. If so use a wrench to hold it.

If you end up damaging the fuel line fitting beyond repair find a replacement section of line of the appropriate diameter with the appropriate fitting (both should be standard sizes try auto parts store or car junk yard).

Cut off fuel line with damaged fitting, cut the replacement line with fitting to length as required, splice a section of HIGH pressure rubber fuel line (fuel pressure is 50 lbs) in between lines. Screw new fitting into filter.