DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2001 Camry power window problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Default 2001 Camry power window problem

The power window on the front passenger side door of my 2001 Camry LE does not go up or down. Pressing the control switch on either the front passenger door or the front driver side door is ineffective - no sound or movement results. I just inherited this car and it seems in the distant past the window would do down when the switch was pressed, but not up. Now the switch has no effect at all.

I started to take off the interior door molding. It seemed simple enough, but I don't see how to disconnect the plate with the door lock/door handle mechanism behind the door panel. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do I troubleshoot this issue? Is it necessary to purchase an online manual? If so what is a good one?

Thanks.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

The inside door handle bezel has a hidden screw to hold it to the door. Find the door lock handle. The screw is located behind a plastic cover in the lock handle/bezel area toward the rear of the car.

Remove the screw then use a taped over flat bladed screw driver to GENTLY pry out the upper and lower sides of the bezel at locations above and below the upper and lower door handle hinge area. Once out pull the bezel forward toward the dash as the opposite side of the bezel from the hinge area has hooks that are molded into the bezel. These hooks keep the rear of the bezel (side toward rear of car) attached to the door panel.

The issue could be the motor or wiring.

Notes:

The power window wiring circuit does not use a ground wire at the motor. The motor will have two wires going to it. The polarity of the electrical power controls the motor rotational direction.

You can disconnect the two wires (red and green) going to the motor at the door switch and apply 12V to determine if the motor works.

In addition to the two wires going to the motor, the door window switch will three additional wires. Two are from the drivers door switch (may be green/white and red/blue) and one (solid blue). The blue wire will have 12V power whenever the window system is powered by the ign key selection.

This wiring allows either the drivers or passengers switch to control the window motor.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:35 AM

Toyomoho,
Thanks for the very helpful advice. I found the switch to be bad and replaced it. Unfortunately, with the new switch the window will go down for a second or two and then stop and won't move again. If I restart the engine, it will go up or down for another second or two and stop. I got this car recently and was told that the window hasn't operated for about five years. Is it possible that since the window hasn't worked for so long that the internal lubricants are dried out and providing too much friction?

You mentioned putting a twelve volt charge to the red/green wires that go to the motor. Since the window does move for a short time with the new switch, does this narrow down the source of the problem?

Thanks again for your guidance.
Jeff

Old 08-19-2013, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

If you have access to the window wiring find the red and green wires to the motor then disconnect and apply 12V DC to them to power the window directly. Reversing voltage polarity with the wires will reverse the direction of the window.

If the window now works OK the the problem is someplace else. If not then you have localized the problem area.

The motor has a built-in safety device that turns it off if overloaded due to binding.

If the window stops suggest lubing the window channels with channel lube that it rides in with silicone grease or spray lube.

If this does not help remove the door panel and when activating motor watch the window regulator mechanism operation for binding. Use a multipurpose or white grease to lube the arm ends that move inside the tracks of the scissor mechanism moving the window up and down.

The motor may have a plastic gear that drives the rack system. If lubing this use a silicone grease as it will not damage plastics.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:58 AM

Thanks again Joey.