DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

2003 Camry Transmission U241E with Raised Letters, or Stamped Identification

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 12:54 AM

HI Everyone,

My Camry has a new (used) transmission. I bought a used transmission Graded A 65,000 miles from a local salvage yard, and they had it shipped.

When I went to pick it up, I ran into a local mechanic who offered to swap it for $400. I was originally planning to do it myself, but when I consider that I would need to rent a Cherry Picker, and Transverse Engine lift... $400 seemed like a great deal. I have swapped lots of Transmissions & Engines, I didn't feel any stress missing out on the experience.

I got it back last week, and it drives nice. I keep getting CEL for Bank 2 O2 Sensor. I replaced this about 6 months ago. I suspected they smashed the wires when lifting engine. I looked at wires and everything looks good. The first time I replaced sensor I bought universal sensor, and soldered wires, and heat shrink for weather resistance.

I ordered a new Denso Universal O2 sensor, and Strut mount because my 2 year old KYB strut mount is rattling. Hopefully, parts will be here tomorrow, and I'll get it fixed before Holiday is over.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:49 AM

that was a great price for the tranny swap

thanks for the update

Old 12-29-2014, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Good job on getting the trans replaced at a reasonable price!

The raised and stamped lettered trans type are listed separately by salvage yards but never found a reason.

Thanks for the update.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:40 PM

I replaced the O2 sensor, and the check engine light has stayed off. The O2 sensor wasn't damaged, and my wiring looked good.

I had replaced the O2 sensor with a Denso universal about 6 months ago. I'm assuming it must have had some type of defect because based on the CEL I think heater element failed.

It ended up my Strut mount was fine.

It was a squeaky Duralast Sway Bar End Link, I replaced the End Links in October, but the driver side was squeaky almost right out of the box. This was the third set of Duralst End Links thanks to their lifetime warranty. They definitely aren't OEM Quality, because the original Toyota end Links lasted 130,000 miles. The Duralsts End Links have lasted about 10,000 miles except this last batch was about 300 miles. I decided to try some O'Rielly brand End Links, they at least have Grease Fittings, and were only $12.00. Front End is quiet again.

Hopefully, I'm going to be smooth driving for a while. Thanks Again for all the Help.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:48 PM

I forgot to mention that I didn't need to have transmission "relearn shifting patterns." I had read in the manual that if Valve body or Solenoids are removed, or if transmission is replaced. The car will need to have memory cleared, and transmission computer will re-learn shift points.

I purchased the Intelligent Tester II and had my computer relearn after I removed, and replaced the solenoids.

The car is driving great and shifting at correct times... So, I decided not to press my luck.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Good job! Thanks for posting back with your results.

Aftermarket sway bar bushings can have limited life. Some folks modify the retaining clip for a grease fitting but it appears O'Rielly has already done this.

Enjoy your car now that it is fixed.