DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

wiper defogger door dinger issues

Old 01-07-2015, 07:00 PM
Default wiper defogger door dinger issues

I have a 1997 2.2 automatic camry. If I turn the heat to the highest notch, there is a single THUMP sound in the speakers. Also, the defogger wont get rid of fog, it will even build up with the fan speed on high unless I allow fresh air in.

Also, the wipers no longer have a delay. When they are on the delay spot, they just move constantly in regular speed. They also wont return fully down when I turn them off, I have to time it just right or they just stop right where they are. Is that due to the wiper switch, or a relay?

The door dinger has always been intermittent but I don't want to hear it anyway. I only mention it to see if it could be related to the rest of these odd issues.

Any ideas guys?

Old 01-08-2015, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Does the thump in the speakers only happen when the radio is on?

As to the defogger. What is the source of fresh the fresh air? Selecting outside air rather then recirculated air or opening the window?

The wiper motor has a park switch inside the motor assy. An electrical contact arm on this switch could have broken off (common issue).

The door switch may be sticking closed, causing the intermittent issues with the chime.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:22 PM

The door switch I assume is good, because the interior light goes out. When I speak of fresh air, I mean the lever on the hvac control. 6 degrees outside means the windows stay up. The wipers work with the only exception of not returning to fully down when I turn them off & the intermittent is steady only. I assume if that arm you mentioned broke off, there would be no wipers. I can look deeper in the motor. My first thought was that the steering column switch may be bad, or a relay.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

The door chime is incorporated into the integration relay. There is also a switch inside the ign key, this could be intermediate.

For defog the air source needs to fresh not recirculation. If already set to fresh air the recir/fresh air door on the air blower assy may be stuck in recirc position. You might be able see this by looking under the dash, drivers side above blower. Recirc air enters from both the front and back of the upper housing. You may be able to tell if the door is closed or door is not moving when you move the lever.

The window wiper arm assy has the timer and on/off switch inside. The motor has the park switch. The motor output shaft rotates to operate the wipers. The park switch opens and closes with each rotation of the shaft. The switch only becomes operational when the wiper is turned off at the arm assy. Then the shaft rotates until the switch activates and turns the motor off at the correct location.