DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

2010 Camry ... Oil change!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Default 2010 Camry ... Oil change!

I've always done my own oil changes. I'm 30 minutes from the nearest commercial change outlet so conveience + $$ it just makes sense to me. I have a 2.5 month old Camry XLE and its time to change the oil so I went and bought the filter ... shock ... its just the guts and some rubber o-ring gaskets!

So where is it located on the 4cyl and how does it come off (tools?)? Are there any access problems? I really got spoiled by my 2001 4cyl Camry as the throw-away filter was right at the front of the block, easy access, no oil spillage.

I read the thread on oil weights and was planning on using 5w-30 as I live in Texas and it rarely even freezes here but does stay pretty warm. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance!

Bob

Old 11-11-2009, 07:54 PM

don't want to pay for synthetic 0W oil? slim chance you will ever have any warranty issues related to oil use. when the dealer asks for maintenace receipts, do you think they will want proof you bought the right oil?

Old 11-11-2009, 08:57 PM

Use 0w20 or 5w20 oil only.

JJ

Old 11-12-2009, 02:12 PM

even though the manual says to only use 5w-20 in a pinch and change it as soon as possible.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:32 PM

even though the manual says to only use 5w-20 in a pinch and change it as soon as possible.
why we should do that? It says in the manual.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Default Thanks for all the very informative replies.

Great bunch here.

Found the Full Synthetic in 0W-20 locally. (I really live in BFE!). Still no help on removal of the permanent cartridge as I asked in the initial post.

I did go to my place of purchase for initial oil change!

Old 12-06-2009, 05:37 AM

Only ever seen them on commodores and astra's.

So assuming it's the same all you will need is a spanner or socket, locate the housing (look for oil pressure switch) remove the lid remove the old filter, clean out the housing and lid, fit new o ring and filter, re fit and tighten to spec.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bob 2010
Still no help on removal of the permanent cartridge as I asked in the initial post.
You basically open up the filter housing like you would remove an conventional oil filter (counter clockwise). The oil filter housing cup size is the same as other toyota 4 cylinder oil filters so if you have this tool- you can use it to back off the housing. From there, you simply swap out the cartridge and O rings and reinstall. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE HOUSING DURING REINSTALLATION OR YOU'LL HAVE A DIFFICULT TIME REMOVING IT THE NEXT TIME AROUND.

JJ

Old 12-09-2009, 12:47 AM
Default 2010 Camry Oil change

Where did you get that pump from? Looks almost like a soap dispenser pump. Thats a good idea. I am planning to change my diff oil and atf here soon

Old 04-08-2010, 03:55 AM
Default Davids

hello everyone,
Yesterday, I bought my brand new "Camry 2010"Its overall specs and reviews are here:

The 2010 Toyota Camry ranks 9 out of 20. This ranking is based on our analysis of 72 published reviews and test drives of the Toyota Camry, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
The Toyota Camry is part of the massive Toyota recall. For more information on the Toyota recall, including how it affects our rankings.
The Toyota Camry remains one of the best values in the automotive world. The 2009 edition won U.S. News' 2009 Best Car for the Money award in the midsize car class with its combination of a reasonable entry price and low long-term cost of ownership. The 2010 model differs little from that car, and should represent a solid investment once again.
The Camry is known for its comfortable interior and gentle ride quality. It is far from the sportiest offering in the midsize class. It's SE trim ("Sport Edition" in Toyota's lexicon) doesn't even match the base models of some competitors for athleticism.
The Camry has been the best-selling passenger car in America for seven consecutive years. The current edition was designed for the 2008 model year, and sees an update this year with a slightly more powerful four-cylinder engine (the available V6 remains unchanged), and a new six-speed manual or automatic transmission. Outside, subtle changes include a reshaped bumper and reshaped tail lights, but you'd have to look hard to notice the changes.
Other Cars to Consider:

Those looking for a midsize car that can race their pulse now and then might want to consider the "Mazda6" or "Ford Fusion" instead. Shoppers more concerned with value than with sport might want to look at the new Hyundai Sonata, which features more interior space, and offers a longer standard equipment list in its inexpensive trims.
Toyota Camry: The Details

The Camry is available in base LE, sporty SE or more upscale XLE trim levels, with either a 169 horsepower four-cylinder engine or a 268 horsepower V6.

Shoppers might want to note that the Camry is included in a pair of massive and highly-publicized recalls. The first is due to a floormat design that can trap the vehicle's accelerator pedal, causing unintended acceleration. Toyota safety personnel have informed us that customers can currently purchase a 2010 Camry with floormats. The car will be delivered with the driver's side floormat attached to the track of the driver's seat with zip ties. Customers are asked not to remove the ties. Toyota will contact buyers with a recall notice when a permanent fix is available.
The second recall is due to an accelerator pedal that can stick in the down position, which might cause unintended acceleration. Toyota dealers are in the process of installing a kit designed to correct this problem, and should perform the fix on any new Camry before you drive it off the lot. Still, the problems have contributed to some loss of faith in Toyota's quality.