DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

94 Camry V6 3.0 Passenger front half shaft replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 08:49 PM
Default 94 Camry V6 3.0 Passenger front half shaft replacement

I am trying to replace the passenger front cv axel.
I removed the knuckle assembly completely because I just prefer to have it out of my way.

I succesfully removed the 6 bolts that hold the half shaft in place, removed half shaft, clean surfaces.
I installed the ABS gasket on the new half shaft. 5 of the 6 bolts thread in perfectly but there is 1 pesky bolt that will not push through the half shaft to grab the threads in the connecting axel rod.

Am I just missing a certain alignment formation for the bolts? I cant for the life of me figure it out and Im not willing to just shove it in.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Suggest this:

Mark the inner and outer flanges and CV body to note their current orientation with each other.

Remove the axle (outer) flange and determine if all bolts are now able to pass through just the CV body and can be threaded into the inner flange. If this is not possible investigate why. Make sure all holes and bolt threads are OK and not damaged slightly. You may need to rotate the CV joint body to line up new holes to get all bolts threads to engage as the spacing between holes may not be exactly the same (although they should be).

Once you are sure the inner flange and CV joint can line up to allow all bolt threads to engage, if the alignment of parts changed remark these parts to know their current orientation.

Install the outer flange in the same orientation with other parts as when it was removed but only tighten the 5 bolts enough to engage their threads. This may allow enough play (rotation) to install the last bolt to engage. If this works, to prevent binding of the bolts when bolting down, move your way around the bolts tightening each slightly with each pass until the outer flange is fully mated the other parts.

If this does not work, remove bolts and rotate the outer flange one bolt hole and try again. Repeat the process until all bolts engage or you have tried every combination possible.

If you still have problems consider taking the axle shaft back for replacement as the flange hole locations could be slightly off for some reason (they shouldn't be, but strange things happen).

Or find a way to slightly enlarge the bolt holes on the outer flange to allow more rotational play. Slightly meaning a few thousands of inch on each hole.

Last edited by toyomoho; 10-27-2013 at 10:37 AM.