DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

A140 transmission repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 08:02 PM

Thanks for help tzfbird. I finally realized that in order to do this right I needed to have the unit vertical. So with the engine already out, it was quite easy to pull the transmission.

Once I got it vertical, I was more comfortable with pulling things out and examining how it all fit together. I found that my trouble was a spacer that needed to be properly aligned into 3 notches on the first hub. Because of this, that first hub needs to be assembled "up-side down" and then lowered into the transmission as a complete unit by the input shaft. After I got that right, things rotate free and easy. Whew! I got more than I bargained for on that one.

Your pics and comments here were a great help. Thanks again.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:16 PM

its getting complicated once your done with the unit and now the spacer.. I suggest find a good service that could do all the job.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:28 AM

Hi.
i just put a post concerning this but thought i might get a quicker response if i ask you directly.
I have now taken apart the 140e from my wifes camry. everything other than the front pump seem in great shape (im suprised for a 250 km car ).
i wanted to know if i can take the front pump from my a241e tranny from my celica. i want to know before i take it appart since its still on my car and if i take that one i will be taking the bus for 3 moths (long story).
tanks for your help.
For more details check out my post from 2 hours ago
Ccelica tranny on a Ccamry ? (auto) - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Thanks

a worried man

Old 01-08-2012, 11:29 AM

i also ''might'' need the torque converter. are those the same ?
i thing the a140 one on the camry might be broken. my fault...

Old 01-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Don't know.

The manual for the A241E is below:
http://discodan.org/gfx/celica/servi...chassis/at.pdf
The A140E:
http://www.turboninjas.com/camry/ax1.pdf

The A140E converter is not listed with the A241E at parts sites.

Might compare the weights of the cars and engine HP as this would effect trans type used. The A241E is stated by Toyota to be exclusive to the Celica, Why?

Can call a Toyota parts department and ask if A140E and A241E have same pump part number assuming still listed.

Last edited by toyomoho; 01-08-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:38 AM

damn. i just bought the a140 manual online ... oh well

my celica is about 200 kg heavier than the camry but its a convertible so that might be why. the tranny might be exclusive to celica because its does shift harder and feel sportier wich might annoy camry owners wich is more of a luxury car.
Also the camry has hp less because of the balance shaft on the crankshaft ( wich i did not put in the new camry engine).
Today i will go to a tranny shop and have em inspect the torque converter. i will also ask for the oil pump gear, hope they can help me.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Suggest an internet search. Your swap may be the first. Some posts state that A241E is stronger then the other, others state the opposite so?

Apparently the trans parts are different. Plus gearing.

Make sure both cars have the same type of trans computer as in combined with engine ECU or separate.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:21 AM

I don't know which one is better, but the A140 (camry) is in very good shape, the clutches and band are almost like new, not scratches on bearings, i was surprised for a 250 Km car. I found the oil pump for 75$ and the torque converter is still good. so i will put everything back together today.

i asked the tranny guy if our parts are compatible. he said since they're both A series transmissions the major components should be the same, but smaller components will probably be different.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Post back on you results.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:48 PM

for now i got the new oil pump. i just have to put everything back together and then install it on the engine wich is the the engine hoist. but its like -20 outside and garage does not have much heat, so i will do it this weekend. i will keep you updated on everything

Quick Reply: A140 transmission repair