DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Changing the belt

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Default Changing the belt

Ok, so my car is losing fuel efficiency and theres a noticable lag from when i press the pedal and when the acceleration actually takes place, the engine will shake on occasion, it may cut off if i decrease speed too rapidly and the check engine light is on. I think i should change my plugs and wires, but thats not my question.
When I start the car, and when im idling or at a low speed i can hear a belt squeaking very loudly. I looked and saw the fraying belt and i cant get to it easily. According to my book it goes from the vane pump to the crank shaft because i have a 3vz-fe engine. However, im not sure what the vane pump is or what it does. Id very much like to change the belt (and my plugs and wires) but on my type engine the back 3 plugs are quite difficult to change and besides that i just started working and am pretty much broke. I want to cut the belt because the squealing notifies anybody in a 1/4 mile radius that i am near and the book i have says nothing about it. Does anybody know what the Vane Pump does? Thanx for whatever assistance you may provide

Old 01-10-2010, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Guessing this is the power steering pump. To access you need to go under the car or go through the passengers side wheel well.

Try the Autozone website site for service manual info.

See private message.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:02 AM

That's right; it's the power steering pump, and you'll have to remove the crank bolt, pulley, etc. to replace the belt(s).