DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Cleaning of headlights?

Old 10-06-2013, 10:58 PM
Default Cleaning of headlights?

I have a 07 Camry that I can barely see at night as the inside lens is clouded. The outside lens has been buffed out but I was wondering if the headlight can be opened and the inside lens can be cleaned? Suggestions?

Old 10-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

This is a common issue, an internet search will find posts.

The lens is sealed but some owners have managed to open them up by heating the housing with an oven or heat gun but don't recommend this.

You might remove the assy and soak in MILD or a natural soap like Simple Green and warm water (get the water inside lens) then rinse and repeat if required. Perhaps rigging something to spray warm water inside.

Once clean, rinse inside with distilled water to prevent mineral deposits and dry with hair dryer or low heat from oven will allowing excess water to drain out.

If too strong of chemicals are used such as ammonia and perhaps too hot water the reflective minor finish can be destroyed.

Try one lens first in case of problems.