DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:48 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

EGR Error Troubleshoot

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Default EGR Error Troubleshoot

2000, 2.2 4cyl

I got the wonderful EGR error code a while back, so I took to some DIY.
Checked the EGR valve itself, still works fine, I cleaned out the buildup. I also replaced the modulator and did the ole seafoam treatment and reset the CEL.
Car runs much better now. No hesitation, accelerates better, gas mileage is better.
But the CEL returned with the same bloody EGR error code.

Any thoughts on what else it could be?

Old 08-08-2009, 09:41 PM

mostly the egr vsv switch... vsv==vacuum switch valve with activates the egr... almost like a relay concept.

first try cleaning egr vsv switch and toyota service manual states how to check to see if working or not...highly recommend buying toyota service manual....depending on how long you want to keep your car.

check out this first. https://www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/egr-valve-passage-cleaning-7669/

Old 08-10-2009, 08:37 PM

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Looks like I'll spend a Saturday under my car.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:06 AM

I would add that atleast on my 96 camry that it was a bad egr vsv switch and basically all I did was take it out and clean it out, tested it out, put back in and it worked great.

And also atleast on 96 camry the egr vsv was located on the back bottom of engine case facing the engine firewall. It was very hard to get to,, but with long extension and a universal socket adapter, electrical tape to hold it,,,it slowly came out.

Now on 2000, I don't know if they changed all the emission system or not. If they are the same as 96 emission same theory and component system, then suspect bad egr vsv switch.

But if you have the service manual for 2000 model or even look under your car engine hood. Right on the hood itself was a diagram of the emission system of components, vacuum lines, egr, modulator and all associated parts.

try this link for info and pics of egr vsv itself....and its a 2001....so it does look like my 96 camry system. http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...2-2l-2001-vsv/

Last edited by honda pc; 08-11-2009 at 02:09 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Question

Originally Posted by honda pc
I would add that atleast on my 96 camry that it was a bad egr vsv switch and basically all I did was take it out and clean it out, tested it out, put back in and it worked great.

And also atleast on 96 camry the egr vsv was located on the back bottom of engine case facing the engine firewall. It was very hard to get to,, but with long extension and a universal socket adapter, electrical tape to hold it,,,it slowly came out.

Now on 2000, I don't know if they changed all the emission system or not. If they are the same as 96 emission same theory and component system, then suspect bad egr vsv switch.

But if you have the service manual for 2000 model or even look under your car engine hood. Right on the hood itself was a diagram of the emission system of components, vacuum lines, egr, modulator and all associated parts.

try this link for info and pics of egr vsv itself....and its a 2001....so it does look like my 96 camry system. http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...2-2l-2001-vsv/

On the Hanes repair manual for the 3.0 V6 on my 96 Camry it shows 3 VSV on top of engine is this correct? 2 on one side facing front of car and 1 facing towards the driver but all on top like in the pictures provided..how to clean them? if soaking with what? I know a local Jiffy lube type place that do a Sea foam based Full throttle body/EGR pressure cleaning should I bother?

Attached Thumbnails EGR Error Troubleshoot-photo-1.jpg   EGR Error Troubleshoot-photo-2.jpg   EGR Error Troubleshoot-photo-3.jpg  
Old 08-30-2010, 10:11 PM

atleast by picture, I would say your egr VSV looks like blue one... Also you can bypass the metal tubing line clog suspect by just running straight vac rubber lines from VSV to egr and modulator. Get vac lines from pepboy, its cheap.

there is only one VSV for egr for both [4cyl and 6cyl].. that VSV has one vac line connection going to EGR and other one going to vaccumm modulator. On my 4 cyclinder engine its blue color and there is part ##,,, pics below.

clean the VSV.. It all comes out pretty easy. just unplug vac rubber lines, take end muffler cap off by twisting if off. and take metal housing off by channel lock pressing the prongs together, take cap off and other metal housing off.

On my car,,, the brass piping part was the one that was clogged up with carbon deposit..I just cleaned it a tiny drill bit by hand, also can use carbs cleaner.. I suspect for most people this part is the one that gets clogged up.. I think for most part, electronics are okay, just clogged up.
Once I cleaned it up and put it back in car,,,everything worked great, light went out.
I would suggest to leave check engine lite on, don't reset it and after cleaning VSV... take a drive and see if it turns off by itself... Usually check engine lite needs 5 seqence of error for lite to come on,,,meaning 5 times of driving, turn off and drive again,,, high speed frwy driving..Atleast that's what I read and believe so by my experience.

take brass pipe part off by hand if possible, if not then get pliers and twist it off, there is a small spring and another little metal cap part inside, will come off if turned over.

See if the brass piping part is blocked with carbon by blowing, if clean should feel air on end, if not then its plugged up.. But really just get a small drill bit or whatever and stick it inside to clean it out...but drill bit worked for me, twist drill bit by hand and the carbon just fell off or clean with carb cleaner would be okay...

Also make sure 2 plastic pipe hole is clean by sticking in something small like a small allen key. Also you should be able to see hole throught the housing by looking through the hole where brass pipe came off from.

Pics explain best...not to good with words.

Just don't loose the small spring which goes in brass pipe and other small metal spacer looking thing..

Last edited by honda pc; 08-30-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:17 AM

Hey I just wish to be positive as to the VSV for my Camry..

look at ebay links:

notice it only goes to 94

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-92...item5d2966e83c

No year mentioned here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

This says my year:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

this link shows what you describe but it shows only for 4 cylinder:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EGR-V...item53dc0b6afb

Ok you stated there is one in and one out for your 4 cylinder in a couple of links shows one in two out you think that's the one?

Old 01-17-2011, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the info! Thats what the idle-up valve (yeah my car drops the idle too much when I turn the AC on, and the EGR VSV look like on my car. Thanks for the info. I will clean them both. The VSV from what I can tell won't be easy to get to! I have a 94 celica GT BTW. Same engine as the Camry. I didn't find a DIY like that on any of the Celica forums so thank you!!

Old 07-09-2022, 04:34 PM

Thanks your idea, that help me too.