DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Engine Mount Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 03:15 AM
Question Engine Mount Issue

So my 2004 Camry (2.4 L) recently failed inspection for a broken right front engine "torque" mount. I made the repair and it passed the re-inspection (I'm attaching a picture of the mount that failed). It was a simple job and I saved myself about $100 from doing it myself. That was roughly 2 weeks ago. I went under the hood yesterday to see how the new mount was holding up and it appears as if there may be another crack forming in the rubber? It's hard to tell without taking the thing off again but I've had friends look at it and some say it looks fine and others say that it looks cracked... Also, I've recently put on 4 new tires and got an alignment done (about a week ago). Already, it feels like my alignment is out. I plan on taking the old mount out and inspecting it up close but I'm worried the mount below the engine and/or the mount between the engine and the radiator could be bad or almost bad... The car is about to trip 125,000 miles within the week. Does anyone else have experience with repairing broken mounts? And do you think I would benefit from changing all 4 of my mounts just because of mileage?

Attached Thumbnails Engine Mount Issue-img_1708.jpg  
Old 07-28-2015, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

With age and miles a cracked upper mount is very common. If using a quality replacement mount it should last as long as the old one. It could be your seeing a molding seam in the mount material.

Have someone operate the engine (be sure to engage emergency brake) while you watch under the hood for excessive engine movement at idle and when given throttle. You can also inspect the hydraulic mounts for fluid leakage.

If all Ok then no concern.

A cracked bushing is going to allow the engine to shake or rock more. But the mount design still keeps the engine bolted to the chassis even if cracked.

Some DIY'ers try to repair the mount with various rubber materials.