DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

Front Brake Grind

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Red face

Thanks for the in-depth possible suspects, Joey. The rotors and pads are new...I changed them because I thought those were culprits, but the same symptoms before and after. No grooving on rotors before or after. Also, yes I do know the awful sound of bad CV joints; this doesn't sound like it. The backing plate idea was a good one as that may be spot-on...as a rusted-out backing plate made similar noise on my Prizm (Corolla) a couple months ago.

But, this past week was a very busy one at the house and I haven't had a chance to put 'er up on jackstands. So instead I drove the Camry in the hopes of sticking my head out the window to hear better where it's coming from. Amazingly, the symptoms have subsided almost entirely by driving it. Perhaps it was a rock jammed in somewhere that dislodged, I dunno. Maybe the backing plate rusted off and finally fell off, lol. But whatever the case may be, the car stops and steers great...that's what I have been most concerned about. I'll update should something go awry. Thanks everyone! Sorry about the red herring.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:19 PM

That didn't sound good... continue updating us I'm learning

Old 07-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by toyomoho
You could have a bad wheel bearing. This can make a grounding noise but more often a roar that fades into the road noise at speeds around 35 mph. When driving, rapidly turn the steering wheel to shift the body weight from one side to the other. When the weight is on the side of a bad bearing the noise will get louder, when off the bearing softer.
Yep, that was it alright. The noise gradually got worse over the months, finally took it to a shop. As soon as he lifted 'er up, he grabbed the wheel and watched it wobble back and forth! I missed it all the times I'd lifted 'er up because I always loosen the lugnuts before lifting, so I wouldn't have noticed it. Disaster averted.

Thanks toyomoho and gang!
-Alan