DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

I think I broke my driver-seat (98 Camry)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Default I think I broke my driver-seat (98 Camry)

Hello
While trying to reach my phone in my pocket, I leant too much on my seat and there was a loud pop ...and my seat kinda moves back and forth now...I am still able to slide backward and forward and adjust my back rest back and forth ...but it is uneasy?

Is there a fix for this ? or should i look for old seats in junk yards? there is a wheel on the side...which I have never turned before and it just spins and I am not sure what it does...hence i do not know if it works or not...

Please advise.

Background: Am a student, don't have a garage, have some basic tools, am not very great but am reasonably mechanically inclined.

Cheers
CV

Old 07-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Rotating the ***** move the seat back upright forward or back. You might have broken this mechanism.

The seat comes out easy enough after removing a bolt at each end of the seat track (4 bolts total). Be sure to disconnect any electrical plugs that are under the seat.

Once out look further for what is damaged to perhaps fix it enough to remain stationary.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:21 PM

Joey,
just to make sure i understand you...I am talking abt this ****

http://cdn100.iofferphoto.com/img/it...****-f62c9.jpg

also, in your opinion...if i slide the seat out and something is broken, and i am not able to fix what is broken, do you think i can slide back the chair in so I can drive it around? [I understand you havent seen the damage, and thus asking you to merely take a guess out of expereince)

cheers
cv

Old 07-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Seats can have a variety of ***** and handles to adjust position.

Does the seat have a **** (of the type shown in your photo) or handle located at the lower rear corner of the left side of the seat to adjust seat back tilt?

Does the seat have 1 or 2 ***** on the side of the lower seat to adjust front and rear height of the lower seat?

A handle in the middle of the left side of the lower seat that pulls up to adjust seat back tilt?

A handle slightly up from the bottom of the vertical seat, left side to adjust lumbar support.

The seat can not be removed by sliding it off the track. The track needs to be unbolted from the chassis and with this will come the seat.

Once you have figured out how to remove the seat the first time, it an easy job to reinstall it.