DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Keys with Chips / Alarms / Override options

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 01:18 PM
Default Keys with Chips / Alarms / Override options

HI Guys-

I have a 2001 Camry XLE v6 / just got it. Want to get spare keys made but it has a chip / Went to the dealership and Id like to find a way around paying $200 for the computer reset and $40-65 per key.

Currently I have ONE valet key (won't open trunk of Glove box) and a FOB.

Here's the Ultimate best case wish-list scenario. >I have one key that will work in every lock, and a pile of spares - The Chip reader and alarm functions overridden for good > not have to drop a ton of money to do this.

1) can the key chip reader function be overridden so a non-chip-key will work?
2) can I disable the alarm somehow? I hate it - it goes off sporadically. (i surfed the forums but didn't get a solid answer for my model car. )
2.2) Can I cut the alarm horns without interfering with the actual horn or have it trigger the computer to disable the car?
3.) if I cannot override the key chip is there anyone besides the dealer that can duplicate keys and maybe make a key to fit the truck lock?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited by Ricky Ralph; 04-28-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

1) The key chip reader can't be overridden.

2) Check if the car has a window breakage detector that may be set to sensitive.

2.2) The horn may have blue/white and white wires. White is +12v, the blue/white wire goes to computer which grounds it to activate horn. If disconnecting the wires, tape them up to prevent shorts.

3) ? The issue is you don't have a Master key which is required to make another key without outside help. That's why the computer needs resetting/reflashing. Call around to auto locksmith who may be able to also do this. The cost is still going to be around $150.

The type of alarm system depends on if the alarm was factory or dealer installed. Check the remote for a red dot above the lock button.

The Valet key is limited as to what locks it will open. Toyota or a locksmith may be able to make a Master key from the VIN.