DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

O2 sensor on 05 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Default O2 sensor on 05 Camry

2005 Camry LE (4cyl)

Here is a chart that shows the orginal wire color codes and their respected defined use.
http://home.earthlink.net/~jcgebhart/o2sens.html

Identification of Toyota's Original O2 sensors are:

Blue (signal +)
White (signal -)
Black (Heater)
Black (Heater

Universal O2 sensors (the one I purchased) have two whites, a black and a grey.
The Whites on the replacement universal are heaters, this I know for sure.
Black ?? Grey?? Which one is possitive/negative?

I have found another chart to identify the wire to plug locations, but my wife has the car for a few days out of town. Therefore, I can't tell which plug is in our car until she comes back :-((
http://www.automedicsupply.com/pictu...tructions5.jpg

What, besides having the engine light display would happen if the (+) and (-) are reversed? I beleive this is what I have done since the engine light comes on. The car runs great, better than new!!! But the light is an issue.

Literature with the new universals aren't even good for bathroom usage, and of course there are no numbers to call.

Oh, I know the argument about using OEM's ect, but my past experiences with six other cars have been wonderful using the universals, which by the way are either Boesch or Denyon. As to the argument about moisture I argue that the plug that comes on an OEM doesn't have a sealing gasket of any kind in them, therefore this must not be an issue with Toyota or other brands. I do however use an electrical sealant on the connectors along with heat shrinking tubing to make a solid seal. Salt from the roads is more of an issue since it allows electricity to flow more readily.

Thanks for any imput.

Rich

Old 08-11-2009, 08:11 PM

Your car uses an AF (air/fuel) ratio sensor upstream of the catalyst (down stream is an 02). NOT the same as an 02 sensor and they are not interchangable. Go to the dealer and buy the right one- disconnect the battery for a minute, and you're done.

JJ