DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Possible to Remove Only Rear Seat Back Assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 02:16 PM
Default Possible to Remove Only Rear Seat Back Assembly?

Seat parts picture:
Toyota Camry: Rear seat assembly - Seat

There are a lot of tutorials for removing the "rear seat cushion assembly", but I would like to leave that in place and only remove either the "rear seat back assembly RH" or "rear seat back assembly LH." Has anyone tried that, and have pictures? I'm considering buying a Camry if I can sleep comfortably with my camping air pad in the back (legs in the trunk, torso in the main cabin). I tried in a friend's Camry, and the "rear seat cushion assembly" doesn't lay flat, and makes the experience terrible.

Thank you

Old 12-20-2020, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Picture doesn't load.

If your asking about a folding seat, the seat back is bolted to the hinge. Note sure what you can do here in terms of easy quick removal.

Suppose you could unbolt the seat from the chassis for quite removal/installation. However if the car is involved in head on crash, the seat will propel forward.

Old 12-20-2020, 05:26 PM

here's the direct link for the schematic referenced:
http://www.tcamanual.com/rear_seat_assembly-809.html

And yes, I want to remove the top part of the folding seat (but leave the part where your but sits on). The process doesn't have to be quick and easy, just something I could do with basic tools, remove the "rear seat back assembly RH", and then reinstall years later when I'm ready to sell the car. From your description of it being "bolted to the hinge" does what I want sound possible?