DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

power steering pump belt trouble on 91 v6

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 12:21 AM
Red face power steering pump belt trouble on 91 v6

I just bought a 91 v6 camry, had to replace the water pump (timing belt drivin) and decided to change the timing belt, I took of the dampener, installed new pump and timing belt but when it came time to put on the power steering belt it wont go on, the two bolts for the belt adjustment i just took off to try to get more room, still no dice. the people i bought it from had the timing belt done at a shop, and it looks like they did a hack job, a piece of the old power steering belt was ripped off ion the same place that there is a chip in the pully and the axle boot beneath it is tore up from what looks like excessive prying. i was thinking maybe the pullies width is too wide, and suggestions would be awsome! i am getting frustrated, thanks for your time!

Old 05-25-2009, 10:07 AM
Default power steering pump belt trouble on 91 v6

So I put on my new steering wheel and now when I drive the steering wheel is turned to the right in order for me to go straight and I was wondering why that happend and how can I fix it?

Old 05-26-2009, 08:16 PM

so this is how I'm going to fix it. I found that when you buy a new powersteering pump it does not come with the pulley, so who ever did it last must have used the wrong one. so i am going to get a differant size pulley, smaller for the origional belt or maybe a little larger for the next belt belt up. I didn't want to leave this thread with no conclusion so i posted my plan in case someone else has this problem and searches it.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:30 PM

I found that when you buy a new powersteering pump it does not come with the pulley, so who ever did it last must have used the wrong one. so i am going to get a differant size pulley, smaller for the origional belt or maybe a little larger for the next belt belt up.
mostly of the time pulley is not with it. Its a good idea to get different sizes. I have different of sizes of pulley for this problem.