DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 03:59 PM
Default thermostat

replaced radiator, cap, thermostat, on my 1999 2.2. because of leaking radiator. running plain water through it to remove old coolant. waited 15 or 20 minutes for thermostat to open ( cap off so i can see level drop) and dash gauge reads normal. water in radiator is steaming and top hose is hot. what's up ?

Old 07-08-2016, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Steaming as in spewing out water?

When filling, did you "burb" the radiator hoses to get the air out then add more coolant?

Squeeze the hoses to get the air out.

Did you install the thermostat with the hole in the outer flange in the up position?

Old 07-09-2016, 04:10 AM
Default thermostat

squeezed the hoses, that doesnt do anything. thermostat is installed correctly. it seems like the thermostat is ready to open. the steam is just steam from the hot water. its 80 degrees outside and the motor just sits there idling and the temp gauge doesnt go above normal. i know i waited 15-20 minutes. do i need to wait longer? thanks

Old 07-09-2016, 04:16 AM
Default thermostat

there arent any holes in the outer flange of the thermostat old one or new one. whats the longest you have had to wait for the thermostat to open?

Old 07-09-2016, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Don't remember what the time was but it took awhile. If not enough coolant steam and water will start to spew out reasonable fast.

If steam from hot water and temp gauge stays at normal the coolant system appears to be operating normally.

If sure the coolant system has enough coolant based on its capacity and what you put in. 7.3 quarts for engine with engine oil cooler, 6.5 qts without oil cooler system completely drained.. If you did not remove the bolt in the back of the block there is still water in the block.

Suggest making sure the overflow tank is filled. Then putting on the cap and driving around the block a few times. This will generator more engine heat and cause the T-stat to open more.

If the gauge stays normal then all should be OK. When the coolant system cools with engine off the excess coolant will be drawn into the system as needed to top off the system.

The T-stat start to open a certain temp and be fully open at another temp.

If the lower radiator temp gets to 199F the fans will turn on. The fans should also run if when the A/C compressor is running or electrical plug to the temp switch on the radiator is disconnected.

The T-stat should have a hole or jiggle pin. A loose pin or rivet that is free to move in the hole. This should be oriented up.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:44 AM
Default thermostat

found the problem. the top radiator hose is higher than the water in the radiator. going to get those funnels that fit in the radiator fill. then put coolant in higher than hose. radiator will then bleed out air. basically, there was air pocket in upper hose. i verified this by pulling off upper hose. it was all air. found this on forum by typing in" bleeding air from cooling system " thanks for your help. poor design by toyota. putting hose higher than top of coolant level.