ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

96 window electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 02:53 PM
Default 96 window electrical problems

New to Forum and own two 1996 and one 2000 Camry LE’s, all with the 5SFE 2.2 motors. Looking for advice on Power window/power door lock issue on one of my 1996’s. Both front windows roll down no problem but try to roll them up and the
Power cuts out after one or two inches. Window wont move unless you wait several minutes and then will only move another inch before cutting out. I lubricated the window tracks and found the window relay rolls up fine without the glass in. Put the glass in and it cuts out. This week my power door locks are also problematic and wont fully engage .
I pulled the wiring harness out of drivers door and discovered someone had previously done a hack job on the whole harness, about 12 of the twenty wires were twisted together and taped up with the tape job failing.
I checked every wire and cut out many dry cracked sections , soldered and shrink tubed all 20 wires . Reconnected harness and the problem continues. Door switch looks great nothing green or corroded. Is there a relay or connector I could check or replace that might be causing problem? The power door locks engage but not enough to lock or unlock doors. Any advice or ideas would be appreciated

Old 05-02-2014, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Both issues on 1996 car?

For windows, the motor may have a circuit breaker to prevent motor overload.

If you have access to the window motor obtain a voltmeter. When the motor is powered (master or individual window switched moved) check for 12v between the two wires going TO the motor from window switch.

Determine when motor quits if power is still available at wires. As in the motor has 12v but just no longer operating or 12v power is no longer available in the wiring.

As to door locks, nether master or individual door switches engage locks?

What happens when you try to lock doors? Do locks move and stop, or lock then unlock?