ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Air-con switches blinking, no cold air ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 11:55 PM
Default Air-con switches blinking, no cold air ?

Hi everyone, my mums got a 1989 Toyota Camry, she pressed the buttons for the air/con and the switches are just flashing [both switches ecomony & full strength] no cold air is coming out the vents.
I know nothing about toyota's but i managed to check the air/con fuse that was ok, i then pulled out the 4 pin relay for the a/c but accidentally dropped it but then put it back in, I then started the car and the air/con switche/s stayed on and i heard the air/con kick in, but seen a little bit of smoke come from under the bonnet were the air/con motor thing is attached to the belt, so i quickly switched it off and removed the relay completely from the car.
Can anyone tell me what is going on, bad relay or big problems ?
appreciate anyone sharing their experience with these cars.
thanks

Old 11-30-2012, 02:07 PM

I am not used to this forum, I can't see my post displayed, have I done something wrong or have i posted in the wrong forum ? I would be most grateful if somebody could answer.

thanking you.

Last edited by lemon; 11-30-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

After a time this forum tends to shift new questions into other sections but does not arrange them by date. As such you post could be lost among others and not show up in the latest posts.

The A/c compressor has a magnetic clutch. When the clutch is powered by 12V DC it locks up the drive pulley to the compressor. Check out the area on the compressor that was smoking.

[Help] 1989 Camry - Air Conditioning light blinks - Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Enthusiast Forum

Old 12-01-2012, 12:51 AM

Thanks Joey for your reply, that would explain the white smoke if the air compressor pulley was locked up, would the compressor be repairable ?
Don't suppose there is an easy fix ?

thanks for your time.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Some folks having the tools, knowledge and rebuild them, the majority replace them.

The fix is straight forward but intensive. And if having shop do the job expensive.

The old compressor is removed, AC plumbing flushed of debris that may have come from the compressor seizing up, dryer should be changed (this absorbs moisture), new compressor connected, the system vacuumed of air and recharged with Freon.

A car of this year uses R-12 Freon which depending what country you live in can be expensive and difficult to find. You might consider having the system changed over to R134A which is the replacement for R-12 and readily available at reasonable prices.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:59 PM

Thanks very much for such a detailed explanation, sounds like it should be done by a professional for a good reliable fix, I will start getting some quotes.
many thanks.