ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Camry 2000LE tail lights problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Default Camry 2000LE tail lights problem

I had a problem with my Toyota Camry 2000LE tail lights (license plate lights and two second lights) but I found three wires that supply the voltage to these lights disconnected then I fixed the problem and all the tail lights woking properly now but still I can see the tail lights fault indicatior in the dashboard after fixing the problem even after starting the engine how can i reset this tail lights fault indicator in the dashboard, my friend brought his scanner that he used to use with his car HONDA Civic but we could't find any fault code in the scanner how can I solve this problem?
Also I can see the check engine light and the oil light on in the dashboard but before starting the engine and once I start the engine these litghts disappear how can I reset these lights that apprear before starting the engine. Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards

Old 07-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

The light failure indicator is a passive electronic device separate from the cars other systems such as engine computer, etc. It has no reset. The dash light will continue to be on until the fault detected is fixed.

Issues that can cause the fault indicator light to illuminate are:

-Burned out tail or brake light (including high mounted light).
-Corrosion at the socket light terminals (bad bulb connection).
-Sometimes in a 2-filament bulb, one filament will break and fall on the other. The result is the light may seem to work OK but be bad.
-Bad ground wire for system.
-Sometimes the light sensor failure device itself fails.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
The light failure indicator is a passive electronic device separate from the cars other systems such as engine computer, etc. It has no reset. The dash light will continue to be on until the fault detected is fixed.

Issues that can cause the fault indicator light to illuminate are:

-Burned out tail or brake light (including high mounted light).
-Corrosion at the socket light terminals (bad bulb connection).
-Sometimes in a 2-filament bulb, one filament will break and fall on the other. The result is the light may seem to work OK but be bad.
-Bad ground wire for system.
-Sometimes the light sensor failure device itself fails.
Thank you for your answer, but I found three wires disconnected and connected them and all the tail lights working properly now but still I have that tail lights failure indicator in the dashboard, do you think that's because I connected the broken wires by myself and need to replace the whole wires, and the sensors do not accept joint connection between two wires? is there any way to tun off this tail lights failure indicator in the Dashboard?

Old 07-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Doubt spicing in a section of wire would cause an issue unless the connections are very poor electrically. Assuming you using copper wire of the same diameter.

There is no way to turn it off.

Question-Do you know why the wires were disconnected, did they break or does it look like someone cut them?

The sensor is a plastic box that the brake and tail lights power wires run to, then from there they go to the appropriate bulbs. The wires are standard copper, nothing special. The sensor looks for a change in current draw indicating a blown bulb.

The device is passive in nature, no switches or relays that can be reset. If the device is working OK (it can fail), and the wiring, bulbs and sockets are OK, the light on the dash will go out.

Again-It is possible for the everything to be OK but the sensor device itself has failed and the result is the light is now on.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:22 PM

Really I don't know why the wires disconnected, I bought the car in this condition, and I think when we open and close the back door ( the door moves up an down) and for a long time caused the wires to be disconnected, because these wires go to the rear lights through the back door.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:24 PM

[QUOTE=toyomoho;64733]Doubt spicing in a section of wire would cause an

Question-Do you know why the wires were disconnected, did they break or does it look like someone cut them?

Really I don't know why the wires disconnected, I bought the car in this condition, and I think when we open and close the back door ( the door moves up and down) and for a long time caused the wires to be disconnected, because these wires go to the rear lights through the back door.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Do the best you can to find any likely problems.

If the light is still on shop around at junk yards for the sensor box as too pricy at the dealer.

Location is in the trunk, behind drivers side trunk panel.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:21 AM

Thank you Joey for your help, I will try to do my best.

Best regards

Old 12-15-2011, 02:50 PM
TMF
Default Camray 2000 Tail lights

My Camry 2000 Tail lights do not work. I checked that there are wires are cut off, and the light warning indicator was on. I reconnected all the wires correctly and then the Warning indicator is off. The turning lights are working, but the tail lihgts do not work. I changed the new bulbs, they are still not working. What the next step I should check? Please advise!
Fuse, relay, connector? Any thing else? Thanks in advance for your advice.