ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical System
Print Wikipost

Charging system problems 95 camry 2.2

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Default Charging system problems 95 camry 2.2

I am a new owner of a 95 Camry 4cyl 2.2, automatic transmission.
As I was driving the other day the radio died, then the gauges (but not the warning lights, the od/off light was flashing) and the ac/heater blower followed. About a mile later down the road I stalled out, no restarting. Upon inspection under the hood I realized I needed a new battery and terminals. Replaced those and tested the charging system with one of those little things you plug into your cig lighter that tells you the voltage of the battery and alternator, battery obviously fine, alternator reading dead. Replaced alternator and belt, tester still says alt is dead. Checked all charging system fuses except the 100a alt fuse in the engine compartment (the screw is too tight for me to get it out, but it looks fine from the top). Before I rip the alternator out again and go have it tested/replaced is there anything else I should check? Car will start, but battery drains and gauges/ac blower are still dead (radio is on tho). Weird thing is the charging/battery/alt (whatever that warning light is called) never came on and still isn't on. The only other thing I can think of is there is a problem in the engine wiring harness somewhere but I don't know how to check for it and certainly don't know about how I would go about replacing it if I did have to. Any help is greatly appreciated, I am totally an amateur mechanic and my husband knows squat about cars lol

Old 11-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

It is possible the alt had failed and the battery started to drain. Then slowly various car items quit until the ign system died? This would explain the strange behavior of the radio, lights etc.

Check the following fuses: Gauge, Ign, Alt-S. Alt-S fuse is located in a box inside the engine compartment, the other fuses in a panel behind the drivers side (also called a coin bazel) ashtray. If you open the tray lid you will see fuses behind it.

If you can't access the fuses once the lid is pulled out unscrew and remove the box.