ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

fuse problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 02:58 AM
Default fuse problems

Hey what's up!
I just got a new stereo for my blue '91 pimp-mobile[sm=bling.gif]. It worked like a charm untill the second time i turned on the car. A fuse blew and it caused my radio to shut down and all the LED'son the gauges to remain off as well as the LED's on the A/C-heater area. I changed thedome 20amp fuse for a same new one and it only fixed the radio but not my gauges or any other lghts.I tried the stock radio again and it worked but the lights on it would still remain off (only the lcd display works). does anyone know what the problems is? Im guessing its another fuse, but which one could it be? I was trying to pull about 300watts from the stock harness ([sm=badidea.gif] i know so don't beeyatch about it) and to my knowledge 20amps X 12V=240watts so yes i am an idiot[sm=bangbang.gif]. Well actual whay im trying to do is hook up a computer unit [sm=pcwhack.gif], which draws about 90W, and then an in dash screen, with the screen being 9w and the tuner in it 200W. So 299W of power. My questions are what can I do with the power consumption? How can I redirect somwhere else?; and whats the flippin problem with my LED's remaining off?

Thanks in advance

Old 04-12-2007, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: fuse problems

well there is a wire connected through the harness that supplies the power to light the units up. You could have fried some of the wiring somewhere. Hopefully the fused saved your butt, but it may not have. And if u didnt have the fuse you could have set your car on fire. Keep that in mind in the future as it is nota joking matter.

Have you checked all the fuses? The lights not lighting up on ur dash are probably caused by some fuses hidden behind the dash (not sure if your model has fuses behind the dash). I blew some fuses behind the dash before, and didnt know till the stealership charged me an arm and a two legs for diagnosis and repair.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:24 AM

i doubt there's fuses somwhere in the dash, but i'll take a look tomorow morning. any other ideas? ALSO, the parking lights don't work anymore (i dont know if you call them that but they are the dimmest of the 3) I realy have no idea what the prob is. I was surprised a fuse blew in the first place because i never turned up the stereo very loud. Has anyone had the same problem before by the way? I kinda doubt it but asking won't hurt me will it?

Old 04-12-2007, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator

well lets just say i crossed some wires and it disabled my ability to turn on and off my headlights, none of the interior lighting would work as a result.

As long as the unit takes enough energy on startup it will blow the fuse. the intial surge tends to be what blows fuses.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:37 PM

come on guys where's the love? you don't know anything about this? I've had to drive without my dash lights for a week and still cant figure out the problem.