ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Key fob receiver

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 03:47 PM
Default Key fob receiver

Anyone know where physically, on a 2007 Camry, the receiver is that "listens" for signals from the key fob to lock, unlock, etc? Thanks.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:22 PM
Default RE: Key fob receiver

I thought it was on the dashboard, in the center, closest to the windshield. You know, that little dome thingy.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:49 PM

I ask because a friend told me that his friend got this to work:

"Subject: Unlock your car from the outside!
This only applies to cars that can be unlocked by remote button. Should you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are home.
If some one has access to the spare remote have them telephone you on your cell phone.
Hold your (or anyone's) cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the other person press the unlock button, hold it near the phone.
Your car will unlock. I tried it and it works. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. "

I tried it and couldn't get it to work for me, so I thought maybe if I held the phone in a certain place... But just now I found this article on urbanlegends.com debunking the whole thing:

"Comments: Comforting though it may be to imagine you can unlock your car door in an emergency by receiving a distant signal via your cell phone, it can't possibly work — not with the technology as it now stands, at any rate.
Here's why:
Your remote car key operates by sending a weak, encrypted radio signal to a receiver inside the automobile, which in turn activates the door locks.
Since the system works on radio waves, not sound, the only conceivable way a signal from your spare remote could be picked up by one cell phone and relayed to your car's onboard receiver by another would be if both phones were capable of sending and receiving at exactly the same frequency as the remote itself — which they can't be, given that all remote entry devices operate at frequencies between 300 and 500 MHz, while all mobile phones, by law, operate at 800 MHz and higher.
It's apples vs. oranges, in other words. Your cell phone can no more transmit the type of signal needed to unlock a car door than your remote key is capable of dialing up your Aunt Mary ... though no one can predict what miracles the future may bring. "

Should I tell him that his friend lies?

Old 03-31-2007, 09:50 PM

Go to www.camrymanuals.com and download or look at the Gen 6 manuals. I downloaded them all so I could search them. I remember seeing a section that shows where the receivers are located.

Now, if anyone can figure out the "secret" steps to disable the answer-back, PLEASE let me know. I hate that my neighborhood knows when I'm coming and going.