ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Odd color coding 1998 xle camry

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 09:30 AM

So it's taken a while to respond.. Anyway, the link you provided last with the diagram still had unmatching colors.. The guy I had ordered the harness from had to also order a 2-piece toyota adapter harness that did in fact have the correct colors to match exactly what the kenwood harness was using. I plugged the newly ordered harness/adapters in the center console without unplugging the aftermarket amp installed behind the glove box and it works great! Thanks for all the fast replies and helped I received from here!

Old 11-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Default Same problem

hey if you figured out the color codes please tell me i have the exact same problem

Old 12-27-2011, 05:41 PM

hey jahl519,
Please post your solution. I got the same problem...I got my stereo power, sound..but when turning on the headlight...dimmer of the dashboard effects the sound of the speakers.
Btw, 4 speakers use the same red wire...that means instead of 8 ( 4pairs), I just could use 5, its weird...

Old 12-28-2011, 06:46 AM

I haven't got the colors. I should have posted them but didn't. The car was a friends and they no longer even have it. My apologies. I'd suggest ordering from the website that I did. It was $15 if I remember correctly which isn't bad. Took almost 3 weeks to receive the part however since it was backordered.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:47 PM

hi guys, camry 98 has an internal amp. you need to bypass this when installing new CD player. the wiring colors jhal519 started this post are the ouput of the internal amp. dont use these wires for new CD players. you need to use the original wires as inputs of the internal amp. those are exactly like we got from google: +12V(blue/yellow), ignition +12V(gray), Ground(brown)....just buy new CD players and dont waste ur money for the installation fee. good luck

Old 02-12-2018, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
The wiring diagram you refer to is for a newer model car. The 98 would have a different setup.

Can not find your wire colors in any manuals.

Have you checked for a remote amp located behind glove box or behind left side passenger kick panel or under the passenger seat?

Are some of the wires in the harness of coming from the chassis shielded. Wrapped together, separate from the others?

Are you sure the wires of the same colors each go to a separate speaker? Look at the wiring for the speakers in the trunk.
the wires are from a ‘98 Camry XLE. I just went and tried to install a stereo for my daughter and can not figure it out. I brought two harnesses because the first one didn’t work and nothing connects to it. Nothing online help. Every diagram I see people post it says that the battery power wire is Blue and yellow but as you can see their is no blue and yellow wire. Secondly I did the same as you asked, checked the speakers in the trunk and they do not match any wires that go to the factory wire harness. Completely lost.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Are you replacing the original factory installed radio?

If so, did the radio have a built-in amp or a remote amp?

How many chassis wiring harness plugs are there for the radio. Two plugs, one having approx 9 wires and the other approx 5 wires. Or a wider plug with more wires then the 9?

Has the factory harness been modified?

Are the trunk speaker wires black/yellow and red/white?

Old 09-24-2018, 10:49 PM
Default Same issue, I’m so lost please help!

so I’m installing a different radio in my Camry. It has the same harness as pictured above.its a 15 prong. I have no idea where to get a connector to match this plug. Any ideas on what I should do?

Old 09-25-2018, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

What year of car?

Is there just one plug and not two?

Does the current stereo have a remote amp?

Old 03-20-2021, 06:22 AM

I just bought a 1998 Toyota Avalon, Also I'm having the same problem.. Just even odder color code with the cords. This is some what filling but it doesn't cut it like me getting excited and snipped the wire and looking at a after market 12-pin compared to the stock OEM harness.. I have listed some pictures. I'm just going to re-wire cause I don't understand the amplifier situation.. Plz, Help me.. I don't have a pink cord..

This was before the snip and strong thought of diy..

mr.snips

after market

Clear veiw of the cords.. 2red 2black 2white 1whitew/green strip 2brown 1yellow 1skyblue 2green

Quick Reply: Odd color coding 1998 xle camry