ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Passenger Door Lock, Radio, and Air Control backlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 12:31 PM
Default Passenger Door Lock, Radio, and Air Control backlights

Hi All,

Just passed 200K on my 96 4 cyl Camry. Has been running great, but have a few minor things I'd like to take care of, just minor annoyances at this pont.

1. The backlight behind the air controls don't work. Not too big of a deal, not any problem during the day, but at night you can't see the air controls which is pretty annoying. I couldn't find the correct fuse mapping for this, and when checking through the fuses didn't see any that seemed blown.

2. Factory radio works fine, but the station display is garbled. It works completely fine, but the station just has gibberish instead of the actual station that is playing. Not sure what'd cause this. Actually has always been like this since I bought it 8 years ago, just wondered if anybody had any ideas.

3. Just last week the power lock on the passenger door went out so I can't use the power lock on the door or the automatic lock/unlock from the driver door to unlock the passenger door. Not a big deal as i can flip it manually, but would be nice to have the power locks all working. Again, I couldn't find the correct fuse mapping for this, and when checking through the fuses didn't see any that seemed blown.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 09-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

If the other lights in the area work the fuse is OK, perhaps a bulb.

The radio display is most likely damaged from excess heat or sunlight, the fix is another radio.

Do the power locks on the other doors work, individually or at the master control?

Old 09-27-2012, 12:27 PM

The other locks work. It's just when I try to unlock all the doors from the key switch or the indoor master lock, only the passenger door lock doesn't respond. All the other locks work fine.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Does the individual door lock switch on that door work?

If so may be the wiring between the drivers door and chassis has broken down, a common issue due to constant flexing when the door is used.

If the individual door switch does not work the actuator may be bad, another common issue.