ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Synergy hybrid question

Old 11-02-2016, 02:55 AM
Default Synergy hybrid question

I have an 08 hybrid with 190,000 miles on it. Love the car, but apparently mine has a unique issue.

From what I understand, under normal driving conditions the electric motor is supposed to take you up to speed for the first 10-30mph depending how hard you press the pedal and how full the battery is.

Mine doesn't. As soon as you press on the pedal the gas engine fires up. The ONLY time it does anything different is if I'm going downhill and I BARELY have my foot on the gas. Or if I get up to 30-35mph, let go of the gas so the engine shuts down, then GENTLY put pressure on the pedal again to maintain the speed on a flat surface. ANY sort of acceleration or going up even the slightest of hills will start the gas engine again.

I'm getting around 31-35mpg depending on the day (I drive Uber in Seattle), so not TOO concerned about the mileage, but I read somewhere that the CVT on these doesn't like being used below 10mph and will burn out. I'm concerned about needing a transmission soon if this keeps up. The rest of the car is showroom and everything works fantastic. So I see no reason I won't get another 100,000 miles out of it.

Please help. I am a moderate shade tree mechanic, been working on cars for 30+ years, just have little to no experience in hybrids.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

Not up on Hybrid.

Does the EV not engage when the is engine is cold but OK when hot?

Does the EV finally engage after 2-3 minutes?

Down hill the system goes into regeneration mode.

The CVT is working the same way, electric or gas power.

Might pop over to GreenHybrid - The Interactive Hybrid Car Resource or Toyotanation.com Camry Hybrid section and ask these questions.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Not up on Hybrid.

Does the EV not engage when the is engine is cold but OK when hot?

The first minute or so after starting the EV works as it's supposed to as far as I can tell. The EV works in tandem with the gas engine all the time, but it doesn't work by itself (except when the gas engine is warming up).

Does the EV finally engage after 2-3 minutes?

Down hill the system goes into regeneration mode.

Regenerative braking is all the time (even more so the first 1/4" or so of brake pedal). I can hear it working if I have my window open.

The CVT is working the same way, electric or gas power.

Might pop over to GreenHybrid - The Interactive Hybrid Car Resource or Toyotanation.com Camry Hybrid section and ask these questions.
Thanks for your insight and help.