Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

engine or tire vibration question on hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Exclamation engine or tire vibration question on hybrid

I recently bought my wife a 2008 camry hybrid. We took it to Santa Fe and Albuquerque and then to Oklahoma City the next week. The maintenance required light came on when we were driving to OKC. I took the car to a local pep boys to have the oil changed. They also rotated the tires. I'm the second owner and the first owner was very good about getting the required maintenance done on the vehicle. After getting the car back from pep boys, I filled it up with gas. The gas station had 2 gas handles at every pump. One was regular with no ethanol and one had 10% ethanol. I chose the one without ethanol. When we headed back home yesterday, I noticed a very loud humming noise coming from either the right side of the engine or the front right tire. This only happened when I got up on the highway and had to accelerate a little harder than normal. If I just accelerated normal I didn't really notice it. I drove it today and noticed it was still doing it. Did I screw anything up by adding the gas without ethonol? or could this maybe just be a problem with the tires being rotated? I never felt a wobble in the tires and I'm a little worried about the gas situation. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

If given a choice, fuel without ethanol is best. One reason is the MPG will be higher.

Unless the fuel was of poor quality or contaminated either ethanol or non-ethanol fuel will work fine.

The owners manual it will state how much ethanol can be used, typically 10% max. In many areas an ethanol blend is the only fuel available.

Might investigate if the tire rotation had something to do with the noise. Check the service receipt and determine what else the shop did that could be related to the noise.