ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Various electrical problems. Starter relay to blame?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 02:25 AM
GID
Default Various electrical problems. Starter relay to blame?

I have been having seemingly random electrical problems. While driving, my dash lights go out and a number or other electronics go out. The only things that appear to work are headlights, hazard lights, and the fuel gauge.
The car continues to run.

After turning off the engine the car will not start. At random times it will start but then the same problems happen while driving.

Other oddities is that when everything seems to work again, the turn signals will both blink at random times. I would use left turn signal and the left blinker will work but sometimes both will blink and rapidly.

I checked all ground wires and they are clean and secure. No wires appear chewed up and look good.

One time when the car would not start as well as other things wouldn’t turn on. I was checking the fuses and relays. I pressed down on the starter relay suddenly the turn signals both blink rapidly (I left the turn signal on while testing). I wiggled the starter relay and it seemed to control the behavior of the turn signals. I test to see if I can start the car and it starts. Same problems occur again after driving a bit.

I suppose the ST relay is bad but would a bad ST relay really cause the other problems?

2005 Camry LE 2.4

Last edited by GID; 08-02-2022 at 02:30 AM.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

The engine does not start as in the engine turns over but doesn't start, or you turn the key and nothing happens?

Provide a list of items that DO NOT WORK when the problem happens. The cars electrical power system branches off and perhaps all not working items are on the same branch.

Any connection between electrical load and these issues? Here being you add more load such as headlights, AC, etc.

Does the car have an aftermarket stereo system with a large amplifier or an aftermarket remote door lock/theft system?

Check the battery connections for corrosion.

Last edited by toyomoho; 08-02-2022 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-02-2022, 12:04 PM
GID

Originally Posted by toyomoho
The engine does not start as in the engine turns over but doesn't start, or you turn the key and nothing happens?

Provide a list of items that DO NOT WORK when the problem happens. The cars electrical power system branches off and perhaps all not working items are on the same branch.

Any connection between electrical load and these issues? Here being you add more load such as headlights, AC, etc.

Does the car have an aftermarket stereo system with a large amplifier or an aftermarket remote door lock/theft system?

Check the battery connections for corrosion.
Nothing happens when trying to start the car. No sounds. No click.

Things that do not work:
1) Turn signals
2) power windows
3) side mirrors
4) Radio
5) dashboard light
6) rear lights
7) brake lights
8) ac/heater
9) clock
10) wiper blades
11) AT shifter cannot be moved out of P unless the unlock button for the shifter is used.

Nothing aftermarket has been added. Everything is stock and replacements are OEM.

Problems occur while just driving, after braking, trying to use power windows, and turn signals.

battery connections are not only new OEM but are also clean as well as the battery terminals.

Last edited by GID; 08-02-2022 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-02-2022, 02:53 PM
GID

I think I figured out the problem. It looks to be an issue with the wires connecting to the fuse and relay box itself. Moving the wires shows that everything starts functioning when pushed a certain direction Downwards towards the engine in this case; and things stop moving when pulled upwards away from the engine.

Old 08-02-2022, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Suggest as a first attempt to solve the issue you CLOSELY examine the 100A ALT fuse located in the fuse/relay box that has the starter relay. The fuse is very close to the relay.

This fuse does not come out like other fuses. The electrical connections to fuse are bolted on from underneath. It is NOT a socket type as with the other smaller fuses. One can not just pull it out! If the fuse needs removing Youtube has videos. It's called a "high current fuse".

From what can determine the 100A fuse powers your listed items. It has happened the fuse can have a dubious electrical connection at the fusible link section (the portion that melts in an electrical overload. Or perhaps the electrical connections on the bottom are loose.

Given the proximity of the fuse to the starter relay, wiggling the starter relay may move the fuse and cause the intermediate electrical issues.

Unless missing something, the starter relay electrical system itself doesn't extent to ALL your other electrical powered item issues.

Just speculating but it makes sense and is easy to check out.

Last edited by toyomoho; 08-06-2022 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-06-2022, 09:18 PM
GID

Can confirm that it was a loose connection to the 120A alt. Tightened the nut up and seems to be working like normal now.

Thank you for your help!

Old 08-06-2022, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Great job!

Thanks for posting back with the fix.