General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flasher relay weather activitity

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 11:47 PM
Default flasher relay weather activitity

Hi,
Here's the story.
when it rains and or cold my turn indicators do not flash until driven a few miles where coincidentally.. the under hood temps rise. Some days mere troublesome than others. I recently started the flashers then lifted the under hood relay and fuse covers and heated them with a heat gun. and after a few minutes they started to flash. When they start they start extremely slowly like a minute between flash then slowly increasing with time, till normal driving engine temps they flash as normal.
I'm wondering if it's moisture or a faulty something under the hood. Tried a new relay. It doesn't work at all. contact spray on the socket and relay I thought helped then it didn't.
This is australian version 98 vienta I suspect the relay is not the problem. Thanks for your thoughts and knowledge. Derrik

Last edited by Derrik; 07-13-2021 at 11:50 PM. Reason: more information
Old 07-14-2021, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Do the hazard signals have the same operating issues the turn signals do? The hazards and turn signal circuits are interlinked.

Old 07-16-2021, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Do the hazard signals have the same operating issues the turn signals do? The hazards and turn signal circuits are interlinked.
Yes Joey, hazards and turn same issue. THanks for your interest.

Old 07-16-2021, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

When the turn signals or hazards are first used, are the signal light bulbs flashing as bright as when the turn signal starts to work normally? Not flashing dimmer then brighter as the system works properly?Could be a poor power or ground connection causing low voltage or current.

Check for battery voltage at the Turn and Hazard fuses.

At the socket pin listed below for the flasher relay block check:

Pin 1) The voltage changes from 0 to battery voltage when ign is and or LH or RH turn signal is used.

2) Battery voltage when ign or hazard switch is on.

3) Chassis ground. Make sure it a good ground connection (check ohm resistance).

Old 07-16-2021, 07:03 PM
Default flasher relay weather activity

Originally Posted by toyomoho
When the turn signals or hazards are first used, are the signal light bulbs flashing as bright as when the turn signal starts to work normally? Not flashing dimmer then brighter as the system works properly?Could be a poor power or ground connection causing low voltage or current.

Check for battery voltage at the Turn and Hazard fuses.

At the socket pin listed below for the flasher relay block check:

Pin 1) The voltage changes from 0 to battery voltage when ign is and or LH or RH turn signal is used.

2) Battery voltage when ign or hazard switch is on.

3) Chassis ground. Make sure it a good ground connection (check ohm resistance).
Thanks Joey, I have work to do. I havn't noticed the lights less bright. I'll get back with results. Cheers
PPS. I'm unfamiliar with the forum design, If I'm not posting or roplying correctly, can you give me a heads up in particular Cheers

Old 07-20-2021, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

No issues with the posting category.

Your thread already has some 50+ views so it is being read.

Old 07-29-2021, 03:08 AM
Default flasher relay weather activity

Originally Posted by Derrik
Thanks Joey, I have work to do. I havn't noticed the lights less bright. I'll get back with results. Cheers
PPS. I'm unfamiliar with the forum design, If I'm not posting or roplying correctly, can you give me a heads up in particular Cheers
Hi Joey, I've been fiddling around and 'yes' the indicator on the dash does initially start less bright then quickly glows normally .
Mysteriously it's working normrally at present. I'm sure this isn't the end but hoping. Cheers, keeping your testing regimen for other problems. Derrik

Old 07-29-2021, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Dim light could mean a poor ground connection, low voltage at hot wire and or poor wiring connections.