ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Wiring Fog Lights to shut off when acc/ ign is off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Default Wiring Fog Lights to shut off when acc/ ign is off.

Where is a good place to tap into power for my fog lights so that they will turn off when the ignition and/ accessory (key switch) is turned off.

My fog lights don't necessarily require one but I do have a 40A relay that I can use if necessary to keep the high amp load near the fog lights (2 lights at 55W each).

I'd rather not have a connection that messes with any existing fuses (like the type of connection that uses one end of a fuse for contact).

I have various splice and solderless connectors so I just need to know what wire would be a good choice and fairly accessible.

Thanks for any suggestions or information you can provide.
This is on my 84 Camry DLX.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Suggest you use the relay, as stated you can tap into any circuit and not be concerned about current draw.

If your going to have an on/off switch on the dash the best place to look is under the dash or behind the left side kick panel.

Look for a Black/Orange wire, this powers the ign and fuel injector system. Has 7.5 amp fuse thus should be small in diameter wire.

Or a Black/Yellow wire that goes to a host of fuses, but this may be to large of diameter wire. Or any of the circuits on this wire: ICU-IG, turn, wiper, gauge or engine fuse.

All of the above will turn on/off with the ign switch ON setting right before start position (not ACC position).

For a wiring diagram with colors try the Autozone website vehicle repair guide section.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:01 AM
Thumbs up Cool, great information ... Thanx!

Thanks Joey,

This really helps, I'll go ahead and use the relay and an inline fuse then.
It will be nice to have the lights wired into the key circuit, all it takes is one time leaving the lights on to start your battery on a long downhill death spiral.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:32 PM

Finally got the fog lights wired up with relay.
Using the relay I know I'm not drawing many amps from under the dash and keeping the real amp draw close to the lights and battery.
Most difficult part was probably cutting the switch plate to accommodate the switch that came with the lights.
Finding a circuit that is on only when the ignition is on was pretty easy with a test light. I found an open slot in the fuse panel that would accept a spade type connector. Then it was just a matter of routing the wires and protecting them with split loom.

Lights work great and I'll never forget and leave them on.
Still need to adjust 4" drop in 25'-0" per state law.
Lights here in Washington can be located anywhere from 12" above pavement to 30" above pavement.
Lights look blue when not in use but the light is white.
Use of blue lights is strictly for police use only so I suspect I'll probably be told by some rookie that they are illegal. If so I'll turn them on so they can clearly see that they do not put out blue light ... and probably end up in court having to get a ticket dismissed. A friend had two very small blue LED lights on their windshield washer nozzles and got a ticket ... court dismissed the ticket since they were installed by local NAPA.
I installed mine but as noted, they put out white light so I suppose it's a matter of how you interpret the law (I'm going by the intent of the law not what they look like while turned off).

Old 11-16-2011, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Good job. Thanks for posting back.