Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

05 camry engine swap options.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Angry 05 camry engine swap options.

First please forgive any sloppiness in this as I'm using my phone to post.

Okay so about a 2 weeks ago I noticed a tap commingle from the engine that sounded like a lifter was acting up. Well 3 days later while driving there was a vibration and then I lost almost all power. I got it to start and made it to my friends house but the engine sounds like a silver dollar in a washing machine and has almost no power. I have not been able to get it looked at yet but a few of my mechanic friends said it most likely needs a new engine. After doing some research on the 2az-fe engine and its "issues" I'm pretty sure they are right. So my question is "are there any options bothered than another 2az or should I try to get it rebuilt or are there any other options?" The problem is I'm also short on cash so I'm trying to find the cheapest route.

I know its most likely not an option but I have a 03 evolution that suffered a interior fire and is ruined however everything else is good. Is there any chance this could be used? I know to a car guru that may be a dumb question but I gotta ask it none the less.

Sidenote, the captcha to register for this site is the hardest thing I've ever had to decipher. I had to refresh like 7 times before I could even read a letter lol

Old 08-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

The 2AZFE had a few issues.

Suggest you have someone look at the engine to determine the problem and if it is economical to repair.

Not sure what an Evolution is? Can you provide a web link to a page that references it? Once known can check engine type.

The 05 Camry had 2 V-6 options that would fit the chassis. This swap would require a new trans, drive train, wiring, computer and other parts which would cost more then another engine of the same type.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:58 AM

I'm sorry my phone decide to clip the info. I was saying I have a 03 lancer evo and I was told getting it to mount out may be possible but would require some welding/fabrication. Considering I have all the parts for that car I was just wondering if anyone knew if it could be done or how economical it would be compared to something like the v6 swap as I would have to buy nothing(or at least very lil)

Old 08-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution?

My opinion is suggest you consider other avenues first. Physically swapping an engine from another make of car will be most challenging, wiring it up will be another challenge. You can't use the Toyota engine computer or wiring thus will need more parts from inside the donor car which could have been burned up.

Other issues to consider are your states emissions requirements as in is this swap legal and if the car will be able to meet emissions requirements.

Plus you could reduce any $$ value the Camry has left.

Suggest having someone look at the engine in the car to find out what is wrong and confirm it is damaged beyond economical repair.

If still wanting to go the engine swap route research if someone else has already done this to find out how much work it is!

Old 08-28-2013, 01:10 PM

Heh the one benefit to living in SC is they dont so crap about emissions. Im getting the car looked at in the next day or so. As for finding someone having already done this swap i was praying id find them here lol. But thank you for the advice i am grateful