Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

09 Camry Engine Floods

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2023, 07:22 AM
Default 09 Camry Engine Floods

I have a 2.4L 09 Camry. I recently had some issues with loss of power, and found that the fuel filter was basically clogged only letting black tinged gas past and had pump whine. I replaced the fuel pump/filter, cleaned the tank, replaced the injectors, plugs, the catalytic converter/exhaust manifold (which was also very obstructed), and oxygen sensor. Initially it started up fine, was back to normal power, but now after turning the car off the engine will flood. It will not start in clear flood mode, which I've been able to temporarily deal with by taking out the fuel rail and injectors and letting it air out for a bit and then can get it to start in clear flood mode. I knew basically nothing about cars before doing these repairs and am kind of at a lost now at what to do.

Old 01-07-2023, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

The engine floods when car is off or has too much fuel after starting?

Can you turn the engine off then back on? How soon does the engine flood after being off?

The injectors should be closed when engine is off and cycled per the gas pedal and engine on/off making flooding difficult.

There is supposed to be a fuel pressure regulator. Perhaps the fuel pressure is too high.

Try de-pressuring the fuel system as soon as the engine is turned off. Then reconnect fuel line, wait and start engine.

Old 01-08-2023, 11:22 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

It floods while off, and seems to do so pretty quickly. It doesn't seem to have any issues while running and throws no codes. I got a cheap code reader and the fuel trims were under 10% too. The quickest I noticed it happening so far was while I was at the store and I couldn't start it after being off about fifteen minutes. It's a very confusing problem for me given what you explained about the injectors. I pulled the coils and plugs yesterday before work, the plugs weren't fouled and were gapped correctly. I let the cylinders air out for about a day while I was gone. I considered what you said pulled the fuel pump, swapped the pressure regulator off my previous fuel pump. The car started right up this evening, although I'll have to leave it running until I head to work since I can't borrow another vehicle today.

Old 01-09-2023, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Are you sure the engine is flooding?

When the engine is off the injectors should be closed and no fuel going into the cylinders.

What caused all this clogging of the fuel system?