General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enigine will turn over and start but won't run

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Question Enigine will turn over and start but won't run

I own a 1996 Toyota Camry LE and I've loved the thing, as until recently it's been very low maintenance. First it started hesitating when I went to accelerate, and then it started stalling out when I came to a stop quickly or when I tried to pull away from the light. After dying it would often require starting fluid to get going again.

Initially I ran some Carb/Choke Cleaner through the throttle body and a bottle of fuel inject cleaner through the gas with the next several fill-ups and that fixed the problem for several weeks, but then it started all over again.

This time things got worse a lot faster: whereas the first time went on for a week before I got a chance to work on it, the second time it all happened in a couple hours while running errands, and then it died on me (while in a sharp turn I'd quickly decelerated for) and wouldn't restart.

As far as I knew the fuel filter had never been replaced (I got the car from a little old lady who didn't need it any more 4 years ago) so I did that but it hasn't fixed the problem. I tried to start it about a dozen times but it only turn over except twice when I stuck my toe in at just the right spot: it rev-ed up to 3000rpm and then died when I tried to rev up more or back down.

I checked my spark plugs and they are a little dirty, with the soot being a little on the grayish side of things, but not bad (they're just over a year old).

I also pulled the back seat loose and checked to see that the fuel pump was running when I was turning the engine over. It seemed to be fine.

I recently had the the belts, the water pump, and all those seals replace (it had been hemorrhaging oil) by a reputable mechanic. I've not gotten the codes read as it's stuck in front of my apartment (where it was towed by AAA after it died).

Is it possible that though the fuel pump motor is running it's not actually pumping fuel? Is there some secondary filter I should check besides the main filter I already changed? Am I going to need to clean/replace my injectors? Some one at church mentioned the throttle positioning sensor does that sound right? Or does my dad's suggestion that the catalytic converter was clogged and causing back pressure make more sense?

Help please, I'm at a loss!

Old 10-04-2012, 06:48 PM

check for spark , spray tb cleaner direct on to the tb and see if engine runs for a bit , if engine runs using tb cleaner you have a fuel problem possible bad pump , somethis by beating on the out side of the fuel tank ca wake the pump up and engine will run for a few min.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:44 PM

Hi all,

After posting the above a
year and a half ago I did get the car running again, though it took a long time to find the problem. Turned out that reason the car wouldn't run, when I could even get it to start, was because the wires going to the camshaft position sensor had almost been cut in two by the serpentine belt. Whoever installed the wire ran it in such a way that the bends in the wire created tension that pushed it against the belt when the plastic retaining clips failed. I fixed the wire with a $2 pack of wire couplers and the car ran again. When trying to figure out the problem I also replaced my old dirty distributor rotor.

Since then I have replaced the section of the exhaust line which holds the rear catalytic converter (end of last summer); replaced the spark plugs
(in the fall); the air filters (in the fall and spring); removed, cleaned, and re-installed the throttle-body and the ERG valve, and replaced the vacuum switching valve (in the spring); and run fuel system cleaners through it once or twice a month.

After I got it running it started gradually losing power, it just didn't respond as eagerly when I stuck my toe in it and I had to give it more gas to go at the same speed as earlier in the car's life so that lead me to cleaning the ERG (which was completely blocked) and the throttle-body and replacing the VSV. That improved the response and performance for a while but now the car has started hesitating again. It's not acting simply and thoroughly sluggish like before I cleaned the EGR, this time it's either completely not responding for about a second (when I try to pull out from full stop) or seeming to bog down a bit (when already moving, and then it revs up a bunch and takes off. Most recently
it has started rough a couple times, the revved up take off has been getting a bit ragged, and the delay or extremely minimal response to gas pedal depression as lengthened (only when engine is cold).

Two different guys at the auto parts store told me two different things so I thought I'd ask what you here thought. One said that the O2 sensors can be sending faulty signals to the computer but because they are not completely non-functioning the computer doesn't recognize them as being bad. The other guy suggested that I replace the front cat as it might be plugged (but my exhaust doesn't have that plugged cat puffing feel). Do either of those sound accurate? One more likely than the other? Is there something else I should consider?

For what it's worth the car is just over 230,000 miles. For both the challenge and joy of it and for the sake of not taking on a car payment right now I really want and need to get this car to or past 300,000 so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-08-2014, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Try to determine if lack of power could be ignition related. Best if spark is white and able to gap 1/2 inch of air.
Does engine run any different hot or cold and if so how?
Any vacuum hose leaks?
The fuel pump has a fuel sock to catch larger debris.
What kind of MPG are you getting?