Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

1991 Camry V6 Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Default 1991 Camry V6 Won't Start

Okay, this is the deal. My daughter's 1991 Camry won't start. I thought it was the starter, but after pulling it off and having it checked, I was told that it is okay. Since my son-in-law said that he was able to get it to start a couple of times, but then it wouldn't start, and since my daughter was having trouble with the ignition switch, I assumed it was the switch. So I replaced it; no easy task when you don't know how the lower finish panel is mounted. But after replacing the switch, I can hear a clicking under the dash (starter relay?) and so I assume that everything is good to the starter. I will check for power to the starter tomorrow when I have someone to assist me, but is there anything else it could be?

Old 09-03-2011, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Question: The ign key is turned to start, there is a clicking sound from the engine compartment but the engine does not turn over?

Or the engine does turn over but does not start?

The starter motor was checked, how about the starter solenoid that is attached to it?

Old 09-04-2011, 11:15 AM

I feel really stupid. I had installed a new battery on Monday. The car didn't start on Wednesday and I assumed that the battery still had sufficient charge to start the car. What I didn't count on was that my son-in-law had drained the battery trying to start the car. But the thought did occur to me later and on Saturday morning, I tried to jump start it. It started right up, but after I took the jumper cables off the car died. Pulled the battery and put it on a charger and it wouldn't charge past 69 percent. Replaced the battery and all is well - so far.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Great, thanks for posting back with the fix.