General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 no start issue.... rebuilding blind

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Default 1991 no start issue.... rebuilding blind

Ok its the 2.0 4banger and its been sitting up for about 4 years. new battery, new air filter, new fuel filter, replaced the fuel pump, cleaned out the lines, new plugs and wires and distributor and now about to spend 320 bucks on injectors.
I have spark and the car will run on starting fluid pretty smoothly. I have fuel pressure all the way up to the injectors just no fire so im thinking the injectors are gone but all of them?

also I have what looks like a ground strap by the fuel rail which has 4 wires coming out of it which are 2 that are white and black, and 2 that are brown i think, they all have little red dots kinda painted on them. It comes out by the number 2 injector harness and is just a metal eye with the 4 wires coming out of it.... where the hell does that go.

I have pulled all the injectors and ohmed them at 13.8 ohms but they could be stuck closed and varnished up.

Seems that all my electrical and electronics are pretty good working order and i have power to my injectors at the harness so.... ???? bad injectors?

Last edited by soccman; 06-10-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

You have the correct ohm reading for the injectors.

Do you hear the injectors clicking or buzzing when you crank the car or it is fires on starting fluid?

You can power the injectors with 12V to operate them. They can be removed, inspected, cleaned and tested for operation. If doing this use a new "O" ring when reinstalling.

Before buying new ones, check the internet for vendors who do injector cleaning via mail.

If you remove the injectors mark the location each one came out of, there may be 2 different types used. These may be seen in the color of the body.

The injector coils are powered when the ignition key is on, the computer determines when they will open by grounding the other side of the coil.

Before digging into the injectors, make sure they are actually being powered.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:16 AM
Default 88 Camry has leak under dash..onto break pedal ??

Hello, I wasn't sure exactly how you make a general post so i'm replying off your post with a question of my own.
I have an 88 camry that i purchased that appearsto have a fluid leak under the dask possibly from the steering cloumn. Actually drips down onto the break pedal then to the floor mat. I reall not sure what it is. Looks like engine oil ( dirty ) but could be steering fluid..i'm not sure what comes through the fire wall that it could possibly be.
Any ideas ?
thanks'Kurt

Old 06-11-2010, 12:49 PM

this is a reply to blueracer. Almost 100% sure that your master cylinder is leaking. If the secondary seal on the primary cup goes it leaks on to your foot.